• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom X-Band 50 Noise Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMRAlaska

Has anyone experienced a noise problem with the Icom X-Band 50 repeater? I have a new one from the factory which has been returned to them once already for this problem and sent back as fixed, but the noise is still there. When generating a CW carrier into the UHF-FM side, the VHF-AM ground to air side transmits about 4% modulation of pure noise on battery power which is unacceptable to me but when on AC, with its internal switching power supply there is a whine in the background which slowly drifts up and down in frequency which produces about 8% AM modulation out of the ground to air side.

When running on DC power the level of the whine goes down to near the same level as the noise, but is still there telling me this is an oscillator problem within the unit, if it were the switching power supply it should go away completely when it is powered down and only running on 12 VDC. This problem is present when both the UHF and VHF radios are on 50 ohm terminations/dummy loads.

Anyone else observing this problem?

Last edited:

12dbsinad

The first thing I would do is check both radios on a simpex frequency individually. Listen out of the radio speaker while transmitting, then do the same with the AM radio. If both are clean, chances are the noise is being generated with the interconnection. Next, try powering the radios directly bypassing the internal AC/DC switching. Use extra caution as not to short the leads together. I'd suggest putting a fuse lead on both power and ground on each radio just to be on the safe side. As far as the noise (not the whine) what type of noise is it? What does it sound like?

LMRAlaska

Thanks, the customer has decided to cancel the use of this system, send it back to Icom and use another radio. No further troubleshooting to be done now, unfortunate for Icom, if this had worked out they were going to buy several of them for other locations throughout the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.