Icom2820 vs id5100

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearJammersc

I picked up icom 2820 for a great deal. I have not been on D-Star in years. The audio quality on D-Star sounds like crap. There is R2D2 a lot like Many years ago. One transmission doesn't go with out some R2D2. The local repeater in my area has great signal. Im wandering if dstar sucks that bad still? Im curious if a newer d-star radio would be any better like the id5100. Im just looking for a radio to stop all that r2d2.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have used my Kenwood TH-D74 on D-STAR through local repeaters and it didn't sound bad. Not good, but not bad.

I assume you are receiving the repeater at full signal strength. Aside from that, there are many other possible sources of packet loss along the way. A lot of people are using hot spots these days to get on digital voice modes and that's another possible source of packet loss.

OhSixTJ

My id-51a2 and 5100 sound just like that. A tire of the beast. I mean, you can hear the convo, it’s just “digital” (duh). Nothing like regular voice over FM.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The problem does not appear to be between you and the repeater you are using. The problem is entirely on VE6DZ's end. It's possible that he's using a hotspot and doesn't have it set up properly or doesn't have a good connection with the Internet.

The voice quality from VE4CP is all Icom. From what I've been told, Icom limits the frequency range of that audio going into the vocoder in their radios.

The only amateur radio digital voice mode I've heard that sounds decent is Yaesu System Fusion's wide mode. But, they use the narrow mode for WIRES-X, so you're back to tinny, digital sound audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.