Icom: iCOM's new digital dual bander ID-4100

Status
Not open for further replies.

toastycookies

No official release date yet, but some sites are taking pre-orders.

Official info at:

ID-4100@‚¨‚à‚È“Á’·bƒAƒ}ƒ`ƒ…ƒA–³ü‹@ŠíbƒAƒCƒRƒ€Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐ
(google translate is your friend)

wB5ylt2.png

wrath

Same thing that was released in mid February, except dealers are taking pre orders now , be forwarned the cable to connect the mobile to a computer as of mid March was going to be an additional $100 , it does not come with it .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

wrath

$500 sounds to low , considering its the premier of a new added function and the 5100A is still selling for more than $500 , also we need to keep in kind that on the 5100 Icom made all the mounting brackets and such an "option " and the mic attaches to the body , so a removable/ remote head was great, they lost a lot of business over the now "optional" equipment , maybe they learned a lesson, it's to early to tell what it ships with, it's going to be a nice surprise when the rig ships .

It also looks very much like an 880H with a different display, I don't have an 880 in my collection did come with everything ?
I know they claimed it to be the smallest digital radio when it debuted. A weakness of the 880H was the fact is was a dual band radio but one band at a time , that is the reason I don't own one , the magnetic head was kind of "gimmicky" considering the amount of limited cockpit real estate of today's cars , I had friends who had to attache it on the passenger side dash .
Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SOFA_KING

Revived this post to ask a question to anyone who has one of these...and knows how to use it.

QUESTION: Is there any way to get a simplex frequency (either DV or FM) to scan in the NEAR REPEATER SCAN function in DR mode? If not, there should be!

What I'm trying to accomplish is having the simplex call frequencies (DV and FM / 2m and 70cm) scan with the Near Repeater scan. I've tried lat/lon of 0.0000, and also tried fooling the radio to think it's a repeater with duplex offset 0.000 MHz. Not working. But I have to say that the DR Near Repeater Scan is awesome when you travel long distances. I drove from Florida to New York and back, and the radio with the built in GPS worked automatically to select repeaters within 100 miles to scan without my intervention. It just added and dropped repeaters automatically when in/out of range. NOTE: The Icom Repeater List is lame. I built my own list of everything in the USA I could find from all sources. The DR mode only works as well as the data that is programmed into that DR list! But it sure would be nice to add the ability to scan some simplex channels that could work anywhere (no location data) to that DR Near Repeater scan function.

On another note, the Bluetooth unit finally arrived yesterday and is now working with my Android tablet. Looks like it has potential, but the app could use some refinements. I look forward to further app development, particularly with the mapping functions. Instead of showing just a symbol of received stations on the map, why not show the call sign under the symbol...or at least when they are transmitting (with a little holdover time)? And will the map automatically pan when I travel? (so the driver doesn't have to keep adjusting the center of the map to his/her location?) At least the communication path between the two units is there and working well. Now it's just a matter of further app development. Cool technology!

Phil

SOFA_KING

Just a follow-up to this DR mode simplex issue. The only way I was able to get this to work was to add GPS lat/lon coordinates to the simplex entry in the DR list. It will scan them like that, but if you get out beyond 100 miles they get dropped from the list. You would have to enter another duplicate simplex channel with another location to pickup where the other left off. I actually programmed enough channels to cover the I-95 corridor with an additional I-81/78 DC/BALT workaround. PITA, but will do what is needed for my immediate travel plans.

Seriously, Icom needs to add a SIMPLEX ANYWHERE option to DR NEAR REPEATER SCAN MODE. It's a cool feature, but needs that provision to include simplex frequencies.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.