Icom's new high end receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

trunker0205

I am wondering, what can anyone possibly listen too above 1.3 gig I see this radio goes to 3.3 gig...what if anything is up there...

rcvmo

About all I know at least at 2.4 GHz is ham radio. I have a cross-link rptr from 1.2 ghz ham to 2.4 GHz plus video. Range is only about 5 miles line of sight. The TX/RX has to be mounted on the pole within a couple feet of the TX/RX to reduce line loss, no matter what expensive cable your using.
rcvmo

N

N_Jay

rcvmo said:
. . . The TX/RX has to be mounted on the pole within a couple feet of the TX/RX to reduce line loss, no matter what expensive cable your using.
rcvmo

That's cause hams have not discovered waveguide. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jlh

trunker0205 said:
I am wondering, what can anyone possibly listen too above 1.3 gig I see this radio goes to 3.3 gig...what if anything is up there...

to name a couple - inmarsat and GEOS

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
now you know this radio is the ic9000 replacement and it's going to be in the 10k plus range on dollars. so don't get your mouth watering too much. and Icom kind of butchers the 800 band when trying to keep the cellphone frequencies out.

R Collins

N

N_Jay

kg4icg said:
now you know this radio is the ic9000 replacement and it's going to be in the 10k plus range on dollars. so don't get your mouth watering too much. and Icom kind of butchers the 800 band when trying to keep the cellphone frequencies out.

R Collins

Why don't they rename it a "Test receiver" and leave the 800 MHz band in. :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
oops, some people didn't read the universal radio thing on this radio being for government and export only. guess what, that would be like the ar-one. no civilian is getting one unless a professional radio person with proof of said profession.

RCollins

K3GI

As I read it there are two versions: the 02 and 06. The 06 is for government and export only, but the 02 version is for civilians with deep pockets. As others have said, I'm sure the price will rival that of the IC-7800. Per KG4ICG observation no civilian will get the 06 version.

I won't get the 02 version until I win the lottery.

Lee, K3GI

Yokoshibu said:
is it just me or does it look like a Rhode and schwartz ?

Yeah, I think that's the exact look they're going for. They want to to look like expensive high end lab type gear.

Had a chance to briefly handle and mess around with some R&S gear. Incredibly impressive stuff from what I could tell and it did some pretty amazing stuff via software. The price I was told was astronomical.

NE9N

Icom R-9000 Receiver

Hey Fellas!! I find it strange that all of these super radio receivers such as the Icom R-9000, AOR AR-ONE, & AR-ALPHA are all being labled for EXPORT OR GOVERNMENT USE ONLY!!! How can anybody outside of these restrictions obtain one of these receivers??? I woulden't mind having one or all three of these in my radio shack!!!!! By the way does anybody know what the penalty would be for a company to sell any of these radio receivers to the general public?????

K3GI

Per the Universal Radio link:

The Icom R9500-02 will be available for ANYONE with enough money to purchase it. It has the cellular frequencies blocked.

The Icom R9500-06 model is the same as above, but without the cellular bands blocked. THIS FULL-COVERAGE VERSION, can be purchased for government or for export only.

What's strange? :lol:

Last edited:
NE9N said:
Hey Fellas!! I find it strange that all of these super radio receivers such as the Icom R-9000, AOR AR-ONE, & AR-ALPHA are all being labled for EXPORT OR GOVERNMENT USE ONLY!!! How can anybody outside of these restrictions obtain one of these receivers??? I woulden't mind having one or all three of these in my radio shack!!!!! By the way does anybody know what the penalty would be for a company to sell any of these radio receivers to the general public?????

Simply buy it from someone outside the US. It's done all the time they say. That and if it is used unit it would be legal I guess. Maybe. Kinda. Or something.

bobbybeachbum

Looks nice, especially with the the TFT display like the IC-7800. That goes for $10K so I'd guess this would go for about the same w/ the extra recieve capability but no transmit.

Status
Not open for further replies.