Icon IC-R10 BNC not soldered to board

Status
Not open for further replies.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
For many years I have tried to like my IC-R10, but the reception was just so bad that I always ended up putting it on the shelf and not touching it. Well, due to some recent discoveries I decided to pull it down and start looking over it again to see why it had such poor reception. Turns out that the male BNC connector was never soldered on the board correctly ( I got the thing used). And now I need some help.

Here are some pics of the board and where the BNC should be soldered (I already removed the bad solder that was not making contact). As you can see it is missing the copper contact (BNC should be soldered to a copper contact on the board). The brown bit (circled in red) is where the copper should be. Does anyone know how I can jumper around this? Any way I can re solder the antenna to the board?

photo hosting

mancow

Database Admin
It appears the pad lead to that surface mount capacitor to the left of that left point of your oval. You can see the trace still intact. I would jumper to that and test it. Looking at the parts layout that appears to make the most sense and I bet the small black component is for static protection.

MarkWestin

Inspect the area where the copper trace used to be and see if there were (or still are) holes that are the remains of "plate through" similar to other nearby areas. If so, the antenna actually connects to components on the other side of the board which doesn't show in the pictures. It would probably be inconvenient to try to solder the center pin to the other side of the board, so you need to try something else.

Method 1: (preferred) If there are holes through the board, you can find pieces of wire that will tightly fit through all the holes and solder them to the other side of the board with 1/8" or so sticking out from the top side of the board. You can then make a duplicate of the missing copper area using solder wick (braid) or whatever other copper you have available. You then make holes in the copper (braid) to match the wires sticking up from the board. Tin the braid and flatten it. Check to make sure it still fits. Epoxy the tinned braid in place. Solder the braid to the wires that are sticking up. Solder the center pin to the new pad made from the braid.

Method 2: Solder a piece of braid from the other side of the board to the center pin.

Mark

I think that the previous answer, which was written while I was writing this, is probably correct.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
Here is a back/front view. I looked for mounting holes st first, but couldn't find any. The two solder points (top left and right of the second picture) are ground, the main lead is that murky brown patch and the copper circle (back view).

I THINK (watch out, I'm using my brain) the copper circle is the main lead for the BNC, but I dont know what to solder to..the 'C' shape ring or the copper 'O'.

screen capture tool

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
Well, that did it :) I Put a piece of 'angel hair' copper wire through the copper 'O' and soldered that on. Then I had about an inch of wire stick up out of the board which I coiled up and soldered the BNC to and now it works.

SCPD

QRT
thats ok ,ready for this ?

Sure its not inductively coupled to the PC board? Im kidding.
its an ICOM.....they forgot the solder

Ok they told my friend who is a ham that the IC-7000 Should not be used on low power,it can damage the finals! Thats right ICOM said that.So now you know,dont use your ICOM on low power .
So far the 440mhz finals blew out twice and to me there was no reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.