ICS Dispatch Ident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue54

It seem s some of our trucks will be getting new names in April. Anyone know how they are identifying trucks for the ics system with dispatch in RV dist? eg: 69 pump = engine 691....

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Calgary is making the change on January 12 to a new naming structure based on the National Incident Management System. The reason involves a universal standard for naming of rigs, and getting international certification on the basis of doing so.

I do not know if/when Crossfield, Rockyview, and/or other agencies in the area are going to make the change, if they are going to make the change at all. I know they have been asked by my superiors at PSC if they are interested in following Calgary's example. I also know that Redwood intends to follow Calgary in some fashion.

- All pumpers, engines, and squads are going to be named ENGINES.
- All tankers are going to be named TENDERS.
- All aerial devices are going to be named AERIALS, regardless of manufacturer (i.e. Bronto) or type (Platform).
- All rescue trucks are going to be named RESCUES.
- Everything else remains unchanged, i.e. there will still be hazmats, bush buggies (even though a bush buggy is technically an engine under NIMS - see below), and so on.
- When there are more than one of a type of unit in a station, the first one will have just the station number; the second will have an 'A' added to the station number; the third will have a 'B' added; and so on. Example: Formerly 10 Pump and 10 Squad, now Engine 10 and Engine 10A.
- As hinted at in the above line, Calgary is reversing the order of their unit names compared to what it is now. Instead of the station number going first, now the unit type will come first. So there will be Engine 01A, Aerial 14, Rescue 22, Hazmat 16, etc.

Technically speaking, anything that has a water tank and a pump to move that water is supposed to be an Engine - just a different class of engine than the main line fire pumper class. So technically Calgary's bush buggies and tankers should be called engines too, but they're not going that far with it.
A tender is a water truck (usually without a pump). A tanker is an airplane. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.