Id: 2003 1907

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgotten what such a display means.. seems that I've seen a reference to it somewhere.
What does those two Talk Group IDs side by side mean? I am used to seeing one TGID where two or more UIDs engage in a conversation.

BTW: Motorola 800 trunk system. Am seeing this on BCD996XT and using FreeSCAN.

Thanks

It means those 2 talkgroups are patched together.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Thank you, Marshall.

I hear you and understand that 2 talkgroups are patched together. What I cannot visualize is that if both talkgroups are on the same system (in my case, I am referring to the El Paso, TX Motorola TRS 3802), why don't the communicating parties just talk on the same talkgroup?

Or maybe it has something to do with linking a conventional frequency to a TRS. I recall a while back that I saw in the El Paso paper that the Fire Dept in Socorro (TX), just East of El Paso was supposed to be made able to communicate with the El Paso Fire/EMS on the latter's TRS, and I know that Socorro Fire Dept was (perhaps still is) conventional scan. I thought that they meant that Socorro was getting EP's trunk radios. Or maybe the EP Sheriff's Office (conventional) is getting to talk on the TRS also??

I know that in Las Cruces (EDACs TRS) the EMS dispatcher conventional (MED10) is linked to the city's EDACs TRS and I hear a simulcast on the conventional MED10 (462.975) and the city's TRS TG of 03-067. I do not see the patch of two TGs in this case, or maybe I wasn't looking when it occurred.

Peter

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Here in Va Beach EMS dispatch is 45872, and Fire dispatch is 39736. When a EMS call is dispatched, and a fire truck is needed to respond you will see BOTH id's come up on the fire id... That is if you have the S-Bit turned on. If you have the S-Bit off two other ID's need to be programmed.. I think you add 8 to the number.

Mark

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
why don't the communicating parties just talk on the same talkgroup?

Patches are typically used when multiple parties from both groups need to hear the comms. So, which is easier:

1) Multiple officers correctly setting all their radios to another channel, then verifying that no one was "left behind" on the wrong channel; or

2) Dispatcher hits (about) 3 buttons on the console.

Patches are typically used when multiple parties from both groups need to hear the comms. So, which is easier:

1) Multiple officers correctly setting all their radios to another channel, then verifying that no one was "left behind" on the wrong channel; or

2) Dispatcher hits (about) 3 buttons on the console.

Thank you.

I think I see it now (has nothing to do with linking a conventional with a TRS).
In my example, the people who already have their radios set to, say, TG 1907, may be oblivious to the fact that they are talking to others on TG 2003, and visa versa, and all because the dispatcher was too lazy to tell all the involved units on TG 1907 to switch to TG 2003, and visa vera.

I suppose then, the dispatcher could patch more than two groups at a time.. Paul, how would that show up on the 996XT?.... not that it matters.

Can patching be done with all types of TRSs?

tvande

re:Lazy - I've noticed locally that a lot of the patches occur during the later hours and I think they are using one dispatcher for a number of talkgroups. I would guess that the officers would catch on pretty quickly when an east zone hears a call for center district etc. Makes me wonder if it is something like that going on at your location.

Tom

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Something else I noticed about your specific example:

2003 1907.

I would wager you have Status Bits turned on for this system.

I would bet that the base talkgroups are actually 2000 & 1904.

2000 base talkgroup + Status bit of 3 For talkgroup patch.
1904 base talkgroup + Status bit of 3 For talkgroup patch.

So a patch between the Ch. A11 Northeast Patrol & Ch. A9 Westside Patrol for
this El Paso 3802 system.

Status Bits can tell you alot about how talkgroups are patched together and whether it is a patch or a multi-select or even an emergency call.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Something else I noticed about your specific example:

2003 1907.

I would wager you have Status Bits turned on for this system.

I would bet that the base talkgroups are actually 2000 & 1904.

2000 base talkgroup + Status bit of 3 For talkgroup patch.
1904 base talkgroup + Status bit of 3 For talkgroup patch.

So a patch between the Ch. A11 Northeast Patrol & Ch. A9 Westside Patrol for
this El Paso 3802 system.

Status Bits can tell you alot about how talkgroups are patched together and whether it is a patch or a multi-select or even an emergency call.

Marshall KE4ZNR

You are right, Marshall,

I did have Status Bit on. I merely thought those TGs were new.
FreeSCAN recommends Status Bit turned off, but I had it on.

Thanks. Learning something new is fun.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
You are right, Marshall,

I did have Status Bit on. I merely thought those TGs were new.
FreeSCAN recommends Status Bit turned off, but I had it on.

Thanks. Learning something new is fun.

All good :)
We all started somewhere. Glad I could help out.
As a basic rule of thumb a Type II system (like El Paso)
will generally only have even Talkgroup numbers divisible
by 16. If you are seeing odd talkgroup numbers then you are
seeing the base talkgroups plus the status bit.
Hope this helps!
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.