Icom: ID-5100a tone squelch no audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhSixTJ

Good morning,

I have a repeater programmed with tone squelch and I can see it transmitting but can’t hear it. If I disable t-sql then I can hear it. I know I have the correct tone set as it works on another radio. I need t-sql because this frequency has some intermod interference in my area.

Hit_Factor

You'll need to disable tsql (set it to tone) on RX until you figure out the correct tone. Keep in mind there might not be one emitted by the repeater.

Ask some of the other operators on that repeater how they have it programmed. If that doesn't work I would monitor with my SDS100, if there is a code, it will tell me what it is.

I find that there are errors in the frequency coordination reports on occasion. So it happens. But it would not hurt to see what tone the coordination thinks the repeater has.

What is the other radio? Do the settings easily transfer to ID-5100 nomenclature?

Last edited:

OhSixTJ

You'll need to disable tsql (set it to tone) on RX until you figure out the correct tone. Keep in mind there might not be one emitted by the repeater.

Ask some of the other operators on that repeater how they have it programmed. If that doesn't work I would monitor with my SDS100, if there is a code, it will tell me what it is.

I find that there are errors in the frequency coordination reports on occasion. So it happens. But it would not hurt to see what tone the coordination thinks the repeater has.

What is the other radio? Do the settings easily transfer to ID-5100 nomenclature?

I know for a fact that there is a tone emitted by the repeater. The other radio that can hear it is a TYT uv8000e (I know, I know).

I haven’t tried listening on my ID-51a plus 2 but I’ll try it today. Actually I used that radio’s tone scan to find it but I’ve never set the channel up on it.

Hit_Factor

I doubt firmware has anything to do with this problem. But just in case, there is new firmware out, I just upgraded my 5100 a couple weeks ago.

ertony

Good morning,

I have a repeater programmed with tone squelch and I can see it transmitting but can’t hear it. If I disable t-sql then I can hear it. I know I have the correct tone set as it works on another radio. I need t-sql because this frequency has some intermod interference in my area.
Make sure in addition to turning t-sql on, you set that tone in the tsql tone value under the “dupe/tone menu”. I’m guessing you have the value under “repeater tone”, not tsql tone.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Shouldn't be too hard to find. Would think it's the same as the tone needed to access the repeater. As many ham radios can't do cross tones to have a different one on transmit and receive.

Going forward are you sure that this repeater transmits a tone, since many ham repeaters need a tone to access it and don't transmit one.

OhSixTJ

Make sure in addition to turning t-sql on, you set that tone in the tsql tone value under the “dupe/tone menu”. I’m guessing you have the value under “repeater tone”, not tsql tone.

pretty sure that’s how I have it set but I’ll double check.

OhSixTJ

Shouldn't be too hard to find. Would think it's the same as the tone needed to access the repeater. As many ham radios can't do cross tones to have a different one on transmit and receive.

Going forward are you sure that this repeater transmits a tone, since many ham repeaters need a tone to access it and don't transmit one.

I’m sure I have the correct tones as it works just fine on a different radio.

KE0GXN

I have the correct tones because it works fine on a different radio.
its just the Icom that’s not working...

Have you tried using tsql with other repeaters in your area with the same 5100? At least that would help isolate the problem and tell you if its the repeater in question or the radio itself.

If you are on FB there is an active 5100 owners group there that may be able to help you out. I have been able to get some questions answered there. With that said, I have been using tsql on my 5100 with no issues. I program my repeaters in with RT Systems software.

Good luck!

OhSixTJ

Have you tried using tsql with other repeaters in your area with the same 5100? At least that would help isolate the problem and tell you if its the repeater in question or the radio itself.

If you are on FB there is an active 5100 owners group there that may be able to help you out. I have been able to get some questions answered there. With that said, I have been using tsql on my 5100 with no issues. I program my repeaters in with RT Systems software.

Good luck!

as a matter of fact, I have. Although all the other repeaters have the same tone in/out. This one is 2 different tones.
I’ll look for that group and see if they can help. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.