Icom: ID-51A Plus firmware update problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldaniel

Premium Subscriber
I have correct cable, the one that doesn't req. the special USB driver you have to d/l. I hook it up, got the correct port #, the display is flashing and the thing will not update. It says it can't communicate with the radio. I even held my foot up in the air to see if that would work. Anyone has any ideas? Icom support says I could send it in, that will cost me around 90 something bucks an hour.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I have correct cable, the one that doesn't req. the special USB driver you have to d/l. I hook it up, got the correct port #, the display is flashing and the thing will not update. It says it can't communicate with the radio. I even held my foot up in the air to see if that would work. Anyone has any ideas? Icom support says I could send it in, that will cost me around 90 something bucks an hour.

First of all, don't pay Icom to update it for you. It's not a "big" deal update, you can live without it. I have not updated mine and probably won't unless I get bored.

Can you communicate with the ID51 with the ID-51a software, upload/download memories etc.? If this works there's really not much reason for it to refuse to communicate with the radio. Try a different computer maybe? Have the correct firmware? It's different between the Plus and Plus2 radios.

N4DJC

Which cable specifically are you using? If it’s either Icom cable, you still have to install the USB driver the first time you use it. Otherwise it won’t connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.