ID Tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorny41587

Sometimes I hear ID tones at the begining of TX some times and the end and sometimes both TX and RX. Is there a reason for this?

vs1988

Is this the same agency?

My local PD does it at the end of tx's, while the FD does it at the beginning.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
Do you mean MDC or GE-STAR signalling? If you mean the digital signalling (MDC or GE-STAR) I think it's either the radio, or preference, I know with my MT1000's you can either have the signalling either at keyup or after the radio is dekey'ed.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
If he's talking about the digital signalling like I asked before, then the ID tones are usually that screech or other sound you hear at the end or beginning of a transmission. The sound usually contains Unit ID information, etc, in a digital format that can be read by a dispatch console.

Thorny41587

ID tones basically are the "bleep" you hear in certain radio. That ID sound sends a signal to dispatch telling them what radio is TXing.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
ANI (automatic number identification). It's used to send out the radio number so you know who is talking, who pushed the man down button or who has a mic keyed accidentally.

They can be programmed before, after or both before and after each transmission. Some don't like it at the begging of the transmission because you have to pause slightly before talking while it sends the id. Some don't like it at the end for other reasons.

In our area, different departments use different formats. MDC1200 MDC600 DTMF & Fleetsync. Some of the faster formats can be used to send preprogrammed messages to one radio such as in-service or call the office. Kind of like a poor mans MDT.

Here are some likes that have different id formats.
http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/

http://www.cimtechcorp.com/

car2back

Is there anyway scanner user like us can decode the databurst to see what unit # is transmitting?

the agency where I worked for last used it, and it would show on their car radios the designator (11, 27, 28, etc.) of who was keying up.

Status
Not open for further replies.