• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ideas for HP-1 install in 2014 Jeep Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

Long story short, my '09 Tucson was totaled a few weeks ago. One of the vehicles I am heavily considering as a replacement (along with another Tucson or the Subaru XV Crosstrek) is the '14 Jeep Patriot. I would like to mount my HP-1 very similarly to how I had it in my Tucson.

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/290765-updated-hp-1-install.html

I did a search of RR and only found a few Patriot installs. One of the only installs with an HP-1 was using the cup holder mount, which I would like to stay away from if possible. Besides sacrificing a cupholder, I would like to use the mount I already have. I am the only driver of the vehicle but my wife does occasionally ride with me, so it needs to be out of her way. I am considering the passenger side of the shifter console, but will need to check with one of their mechanics when purchasing that there is clearance for the 1/2 inch screws without hitting anything critical. I would probably even ask if the mechanic can pop the panel to show me. I'd rather not break any clips on a brand new vehicle. Deciding on an antenna location will be an entirely separate matter. I had a Hustler MOR-B on Comet lip mount on the rear hatch of my Tucson and would likely re-use that if feasible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kc8gjh

Premium Subscriber
I had a 2011 Patriot and I mounted the HP-1 in the open storage area on the passenger side above the glove box. I drilled a small hole below the rubber mat of the storage area and ran all the wiring through that. I mounted it by using a RAM mount with some heavy duty 3M mounting tape and it didn't move at all for the time I had the Patriot. I tried the cup holder mount and other ways and it just never worked the way I wanted it. The Patriot does not have a "radio friendly" interior.
On another note, I hated my Patriot. I only had it 6 months.

dmg1969

If you don't mind me asking, kc8...why did you hate it?

The spot I had in the Tucson was perfect for me for visibility and reach. I'm hoping I can find that same sweet spot in whichever vehicle I choose. For the past two weeks, I have been relegated to a Hyundai Elantra and using my BC125AT portable. Worst case scenario is that I get the RAM windshield suction cup mount and use that. That would be my last choice, though.

And iMontior...yes, definitely know to keep it out of the way of any airbags.

kc8gjh

Premium Subscriber
My Patriot was the 70th Anniversary Freedom II AWD Package and it had the CVT transmission and it was just slow in acceleration and the engine and transmission noise was way to much for my liking. After about 10k miles, everything started rattling and I just felt it was cheaply built. Also, it wasn't radio friendly in my opinion and I spent way to much time just find a place to mount my HP-1 and run the wiring.

dmg1969

Gotcha. The Patriots, from what I have seen in my research are all 4x4 as opposed to AWD. The Subaru XV Crosstrek I am also considering is an AWD as is the Tucson...no 4 wheel drive on those. I don't really want AWD because of the impact on gas mileage. I want to be able to put in 4 wheel drive when I think I need it...that's it.

I do so that the Patriot can be a bit of a challenge for radio placement. I think, without having looked at the interior yet, I would opt for similar placement that I had in my Tucson unless something better presented itself.

K9EMD

Premium Subscriber
I have a 2014 Patriot and I love it, traded my 2009 Ford Focus in for it. Wife purchased a 2014 compass a week before my Patriot. Here is what I have for my radio. I do like the idea of the HP in the area above glove box I may have to look into that for a spot if I take mine with us on road trips. Under the shifter is my Whelen switch panel for my emergency lights.

dmg1969

Thanks for the reply, KC9QNN. It looks like your radio is attached to the side of the shift console, correct? If so, how is it attached...screws? If so, did you remove the panel to check for anything critical behind? I have not looked at the Patriot in person yet (still waiting on insurance $). I may go out tomorrow and test drive a few of my choices. I have looked at quite a few interior photos online to help plan possible mounting locations. The only thing about the storage area above the glove is that it does not seem like it would be within easy reach if I need to access it to mute, lock on a channel or department, etc. Additionally, I would think it would be in the way of the passenger side airbag if my wife were with me.

K9EMD

Premium Subscriber
Yes it is attached with screws to the side of shifter area. Best reference, the silver ring comes off and so does the face of the shifter and you can see right inside there. My only concern with putting HP1 there is passenger's leg since it is taller than my Kenwood. The cubby hole on the passenger's side is below the air bag so no problem with it becoming a projectile via air bag. But unless you have long arms (as I do) it is still a reach to the cubby hole if you want to adjust volume change the channel or mute it. I don't have a good picture of anything with reference to how far away the cubby hole is, but when you test drive a Patriot make sure to plan that and look at it. I am debating mounting my speakers for my Kenwood up there since under the seat doesn't work very well.

dmg1969

Thankfully, I didn't run into the issue of the HP-1 being in the way of passengers. The RAM mount I used is a double ended ball mount, so all I have to do is loosen the knob and move it out of the way of anyone sitting there. Thankfully, not too many people ride shotgun day to day. I will definitely be keeping scanner placement in mind when looking at all three vehicles. Thanks!

PS...also found this to consider.

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard...ngled-mount-854303-16737.cmsv?p_leftorright=0

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have used the Proclips for a LOT of installs. IMHO - HP1 may or my not be too heavy for it. It depends on the actual dash supports etc.

I use Ram mounts for nearly everything. I'd pop that shifter cover/console off and look. Use a couple screws through it for a Ram base.

- and NO patriot ever has had true 4wd. Sorry but it just ain't so.
Jeep Capabilities - Explore Jeep 4x4 Systems

It's a hybrid AWD system - I do not know of any front wheel drive vehicles that have a true 4x4 system, thought there might be something.

I'd stay away from any CVT system.

K9EMD

Premium Subscriber
I have used Pro Clip mounts in other vehicles I really liked them, I wish they would make an A Pillar mount like they do for the Jeep Compass. I also have used Ram mounts and like them as well. In my case the wife moves around alot on road trips so I have to take that into consideration when I look at mounting my radios and such.

dmg1969

I think, if I do go with the Jeep, I would stick with using my adjustable RAM mount on the side of the shifter console like I had in the Tucson. I drove a Subaru XV Crosstrek yesterday and did like it. Still have yet to test drive the Patriot. Will do that this week.

K9EMD

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking of looking at my Ram Mounts and get my Radio head a little higher up and in a better position for viewing. It is kind of a pain where it is to see it. Only reason the wife and I ended up with Jeeps is because the rebates in July were crazy on them. She got a Compass and I ended up with the Patriot I like the lines of the Compass better than the Patriot but I feel more comfortable in the Patriot.

dmg1969

Well, I actually ended up getting a Subaru XV Crosstrek. I made the deal yesterday and put down the deposit. Pick it up tomorrow. I see Sunday being spent planning out and mounting the HP-1 and antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.