Ideas For The Next Generation Of Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a search I can see this topic hasn't been revisited in a while, so here goes.

What features should future scanners have that they do not currently have? For this thread, let's assume that the features CAN increase the cost by a few hundred dollars, but still leave the scanner affordable for the serious scanner enthusiast. Maybe the powers at be (Uniden / GRE) might even stumble across this on a google search some day.

My wish list:

1) MUCH more powerful audio for handheld scanners (like a public safety radio).
2) Li-ion battery packs, charging cradles.
3) Commercial grade cases for portables.
4) Two or three separate antenna inputs on the back of base units, with the input selectable per object.
5) Multiple tuners so there is no audio dropout when checking the priority channel.

trixwagen

I'd like to see a scanner with a color touchscreen. Those keyboards won't wear off anymore. I know the purists will hate them. Leave the squelch analog, though.

Bill_White

Yes, dual receive!!!
It’s time to end choppy audio…
Put a priority bank, WX alert and, tone out on the second receiver.

Yes, a memory card slot….
So Programming can be reduced to reading a simple comma/tab/pipe separated ASCII file.

rankin39

Bandpass filters for the scanner bands, i.e., band-block filters to take out 54-108 MHz., 174-216 MHz., and 512-740 MHz. with one switchable for 470-512 MHz. These would eliminate most of the intermod in scanners. The pagers and weather service transmissions that interfere are most often mixing products from f.m. and TV broadcast transmitters running half a million watts. As scanner manufacturering (AND 2-way radio mfging) have migrated to China, these problems have become more and more acute. Simple LC filters could cure it cheaply.

Bob

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
How about these also:
1) MUCH more sturdy belt clip- like MOTO radio belt clips with springs
2) a waterproof scanner (not submersible, but one that can withstand maybe 30 seconds in 4ft. deep). I know icom tried this with some small portable radios...

My wish list:

1) MUCH more powerful audio for handheld scanners (like a public safety radio).
2) Li-ion battery packs, charging cradles.
3) Commercial grade cases for portables.

I love these suggestions too. And the memory stick similar to a camera's is a good one also. I'd much rather buy 10 different sticks instead of reprogramming 10 times. The memsticks would be great for long trips where you you need many different programs or scanners.

I hope they read this thread- if not we'll license our ideas to them and all be PAID consultants! =)

mjthomas59

Removing the ridiculous pricetag for the apco-25 licensing fee thus lowering the price of the digital scanners.

Also Provoice/Open Sky once those systems start becoming(if they become) more popular

More remote heads for other models/brands which make installing a scanner extremely easy.

I'd like to see a way to bluetooth the signal from your antenna to your scanner thus eliminating the coax run all together.

Smaller sizes! If an Apple I-Phone can have internet and crazy-A$$ software in it then surely we can reduce the size of a scanner!

Better/Louder audio and front-fire speakers for mobile units(thus eliminating the need for an ext. speaker)

Lithium-Ion batteries would also be nice thus increasing the life of the batteries and the time you can enjoy listening.

Multiple antenna ports for your mobile and base models

Remote controls like they have on cd players to adjust your audio/banks/squelch/etc

There is a start! With the reduction in price from the apco-25 license fee they could probably add most of that and keep the price where it is.

N8IAA

Metal beltclips without a doubt(not motzorola clips). Definitely SD cards. LOUD audio (l miss my MTX-8000). Most definitely remote heads for HT's and mobiles:) Smaller radios like the 396 with the digital decode of the GRE's.
Larry

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Phenix_scanner hit all the features i`d want on the next scanner with this one addition, MPT1327 trunking capibility and support for monitoring digital channels that run NAC codes...they did those two and the stuff already mentioned, and i defenitely would snag one :). N9NRA

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'd like to see a scanner with a color touchscreen.
The only feature of the PSR-600 I had for a while that I really liked was the multi-color LED on the front panel. For those not familiar, you can program the scanner to have that LED display different colors for different objects, e.g. red for fire, blue for police, green for EMS, etc. I thought that was a really cool feature.

A vendor was in our office a few weeks ago showing off their new room pressure monitor. These are typically used in hospitals to monitor the air pressure in isolation rooms. You want to keep the air pressure in an isolation room a bit negative with respect to the hallway outside the room so that any air particles in the room that might be carrying an infection stay in the room. This room pressure monitor had a large LCD screen which displayed various operating parameters. The LCD was back lit with multi-color LEDs. If the room was OK, the backlight was green. If the room was not OK, the backlight was red. I thought this was very cool. You could see from down the hallway if there was a problem with the air pressure in that room.

This same sort of technology could be used on scanners. We already have scanners (the BCD996T) and amateur radios that have selectable LCD screen colors. But we need more choices besides just amber and green. And we need for those colors to be programmable like the LED on the PSR-600.

daedalus

A small remote head for a mobile scanner. These new small cars have no room to mount a scanner. I deleted my 2xDIN stock radio and replaced it with a 1xDIN and a PRO-2096. That works, but I'd rather have a 2xDIN radio with navigation and a small remote head for a scanner I could mount in the trunk.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I'd have to go along with the better case and audio for handhelds. My Yaesu VX-170 has a tough, durable case and super loud audio, and it's waterproof. There's no reason the same couldn't be done with a scanner, and it obviously doesn't run the price up because a brand new VX-170 costs less than most scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.