idenification of burnt out component in RS 200ch pro 404

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecollector

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i brought RS pro 404 that won't power up and i found a burn out component on the pcb right between where the battery holder contact point was soldered. it is the only component in that area. becase it is completely burn into dark brown color, i can't identify it at all. have checked RS support site. no part list has been released maybe because the item still selling on the website. i have not tried the RS technical support but since i did not brought it from them. i doubt they are willing to help.

1. could anyone who own such model snap a pic of the internal ( this is actually the 1st item show up in RS scanner category.) so i can have idea of how it look like before it burnt out.

2. help identify the parts

3. show a link to the web that offer such part for sale?

Ecollector

this model still selling on the website for 99 dollars. and parts list is not released on the support site. there is model on that support site share common model but is not the right model.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Seems that Radio Shack has reused another catalog number. When I get back in the store, late Friday, I will look up the parts list in the in house system for this scanner. Yes, I have access to stuff that J.Q.P. can not. There might be a service manual available from RSU parts. There is one of these scanners in the store and I might be able to get a picture of the area you are looking for or at lease identify the part number and part.

Last edited:

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
In case something else is damaged in the radio, part number 10823250 is for the MANUAL (CD) SERVICE 20-0404 and will cost you $5.49 plus shipping ans is In Stock at RSU PARTS. I will try to get a picture later this evening to identify the part

MarkWestin

"L" (L18) implies that this is a "Choke" (or Inductor). Since Inductors are not "Active Components", look for a nearby "Active" component (Diode, Transistor, or IC chip) which will probably be the actual problem as opposed to the burned component which is the symptom. (the bad component may not be located on the same circuit board)

Mark

Ecollector

wow, thanks for all the inputs. the item in the pic does matched the burnt item location on my scanner. i just want to know. is it worth the effort to replace this inductor L18? the scanner does not turn on at all. could anyone tell me what are the price and spec of the inductor base on the image posted?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Yup, looks like a 1uH choke or inductor.

One typical reason these chokes fry is when someone connects power to the scanner with reversed polarity. If that's what you did, perhaps the choke is the only component that failed. However, there could be other failed components as well.

If you do not know why this failed, such as connecting the power reversed, then I'd expect there to be other failed components.

Ecollector

does anyone know the price on this choke 1uf inductor? or provide a direct link from a site that offer this component? i having trouble finding them from digikey.

Ecollector

it turn out that by shorting the joint of L18. i can power the scanner up and receive channels. this confirm the burn out L18 is the only problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.