identifty antenna help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber

fineshot1

Can someone please tell me what type of antennas these are? They appear to be VHF but one is longer than the other.

All sizes | Kitsap County Sheriff, Washington | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks sooo much! :)

Left rear is a VHF-Hi 1/4 wave antenna.

Right rear appears to be a UHF 1/4 wave but the pic is rather poor so cant be sure.

The one forward next to the light bar could be a UHF gain or an 800 gain antenna
but again can not be sure as it could be many different types, too hard to tell for
sure.

EDIT: Sorry - i mean to say the pic detail on the antennas is poor - not the pic itself.

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Looks like both in the rear are VHF. The one on the right, one of the spots by the door camera (?) is the top of the antenna. The right side looks about right for 150, but the left side is way too long for 150. Compare it to the base which is about 1 1/2" diameter. Probably a cut-to-fit whip that someone didn't realize it needed to be trimmed, or maybe it's just for a scanner.

Standard quarterwave antenna. Measuring the length will give a general idea of the frequencies in use.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Front/center is a multi frequency cellular antenna, we use those on some installations at work. They have a bit of gain to them, and they work well in rural areas.

I concur, two VHF antennas. Likely the one on the left is for 150MHz public safety and the one on the right is for 160-170MHz federal stuff, although from the picture, it's really hard to tell. A better picture would tell a lot. Exact measurements would tell us for sure, but that might cause some serious questioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.