Identify this antenna ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airdorn

Hi, I have this little mystery antenna. A picture of it is included at the bottom of the post.

It has a BNC connector. The base is magnetic and it stands about a foot tall.

What is the best way, short of 'just knowing' its freq. range and other specs., to figure out what it's made for and what it really can do?

The antenna has no identifying markings at all.

Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

• myst_ant1.jpg
    myst_ant1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 346

rfsparkz

Premium Subscriber
Antenna

Hello,
If you have access to an antenna anylizer such as the ones made by MFJ then you will be able to see what frequencies that antenna will resonate on.
Russ

n4yek

It resembles the old cell phone antennas we had on our work trucks back in the early '90s.
But it could be in the UHF band, hard to tell without markings.

k8mcn

try the MFJ analyzer--it will tell you if the antenna is resonant on the 2 meter band (some of the MFJ's even analyze down to 440)-----
but lacking that, just hook it up to your scanner and see how it does, it wont hurt anything to try.
Since it is only a foot tall,and has BNC connectors that are rare in the Ham 2/440 i would guess it is for either 800 or 900mhz and like they said above, probably and old phone antenna.

I took one that was similar, it was a 440 antenna, cut it down and it it working great mobile for 800 mhz........

Status
Not open for further replies.