Identifying siren sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5lz

Is there a way to tell any difference between a police siren and a Fire siren?
Not really. It depends on which siren or brand of siren. There may be local standards but not a universal one.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Thanks, everyone answered my questions to what I thought was a correct answer. Too bad they don't have sirens with Terminator voice option saying "GET OUT OF THE WAY!" :)
There might have been an Security Police Airman on a base responding to a DV one day and someone would not yield...
That Airman might have grabbed the mike to the PA and could have said "get the F out of the way"
Then that vehicle might have yielded in a spectacular fashion of driving right off the road.

After the call was cleared, that airman might have had a constructive critique with the subject being emergency response and use of the PA near base housing and was put on "Halls and Walls" for a week....

Cough Cough, this all might have happened in the mid 90s cough cough.

MStep

The workhorse of the FDNY fleet in years gone by was the very famous "Federal 28". I believe that there are still some being used by the FDNY fleet. A fully mechanical siren--- my friend had one installed in his van and a separate battery and alternator just to run the thing. In a car or van sized vehicle, you could actually feel the pull either to the left or right, depending on how the siren was mounted. The Federal Q series attempts to emulate the 28, but as has been mentioned, the "trained" ear can tell the difference. You can find some of the 28's on Ebay.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Emergency services in Europe have changed to our familiar siren sounds as it was pointed out that the hi/lo horns only hit two frequencies and hence might not be as effective. I heard that the nitwit mayor of New York City decided that the hi/lo horns were "less aggravating" and some of them have been installed on FDNY apparatus.

NYC has a lot of foreign born residents. To them, the Hi-Lo siren is the traditional sound of a siren outside of NA. The mayor decided to adopt that sound as a measure of inclusivity and to "improve" EMS response times.

WB9YBM

NYC has a lot of foreign born residents. To them, the Hi-Lo siren is the traditional sound of a siren outside of NA. The mayor decided to adopt that sound as a measure of inclusivity and to "improve" EMS response times.

If NYC is anything like Chicago, I think the best way to improve response times is to convince people to get out of the way when they hear sirens and see blinky lights coming their way:)

Status
Not open for further replies.