IDPS Indianapolis/Marion County reception issues

W9NES

Hello to all. Its been a while since I have posted here. I now have a Uniden HP 536 in my Emergency Operations Center near 79Th and Michigan Road. Just wanted to let you all know. that 1. I am now able to hear IDPS Sys 1 after pointing my back of set antenna at the Traders Point IDPS Tower to the west of my location at 7500 N Lafayette Road. Full control channel. Hearing all IMPD Districts along with all fire and EMS. I am also hearing Lawrence and Speedway along with Airport PD and Fire. When I am east of 79Th and Michigan Road IDPS Sys 1 gets very clear on my Uniden HP-1 in my car with a mobile antenna on the trunk. If anyone has PROBLEMS with hearing IDPS Sys 1 just point a antenna at your local IDPS Tower.*Additional I am hearing Hamilton County while doing this. Hope this helps all that are having problems.

Last edited:

west-pac

You are using scanners that were not designed to receive simulcast radio systems to receive IDPS, which -is- a simulcast radio system. As you found out, you will have to fiddle with your antenna system to attempt to find the best reception that works for you. What works for you may not work for others, as they are in a different physical location and could be receiving their local towers at different signal strengths than you are. Of course if you were using an SDS100 or SDS200 scanner you wouldn't have to fiddle with anything because those scanners were designed for receiving simulcast radio systems.

W9NES

West-pac thank you but I do have a Uniden 536HP and it receives IDPS better than ever before. I know have it pointed at the Traders Pont tower at 7600 N Lafayette Road from 79Th and Michigan Road in my basement with the antenna that came with the scanner. I am also hearing Hamilton County as well on the same feed. My Uniden 536HP was designed to receive IDPS along with safe-t. I am happy and that is all the matters to me. Thank you.!!!!

Last edited: