If found message in case you lose scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith_W7KEW

With the Freescan program I created a system that uses the WX channels to flash your name and phone number on the Uniden XT scanners. When you turn your scanner on it will stop on the 'if found system' and flash your name then your phone number, to temporarily disable it just hit the Func + L/O key to temporarily lockout the system. This should work great for portable scanners.

Attachments

• if_found.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 90

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Good Idea

With the Freescan program I created a system that uses the WX channels to flash your name and phone number on the Uniden XT scanners. When you turn your scanner on it will stop on the 'if found system' and flash your name then your phone number, to temporarily disable it just hit the Func + L/O key to temporarily lockout the system. This should work great for portable scanners.

Since I own a GRE PSR 500, I've basically done the same sort of thing. On my welcome screen, I have placed my name, telephone number and Driver's License number. Since I tend to forget things from time to time, I thought it would be a great idea. I use Win500 software to do this.

DWW

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber

Newer Uniden models have a splash screen option that you can program to whatever you want.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
With FreeScan (and other programs too) you can change the startup screen to say just about anything you want.

In FS, it's under Scanner--->Setup Scanner Options--->select the 'General' tab

best regards...Mike

I read the post then put the "if found system" in my programming. I set the Alert Color to Red, put in a Alert Tone, set the Alert Pattern and Alert Level.

When I turn on the Scanner the Start Up screen shows My Message and THEN the "if found system" does its thing.

I Like it :D

KB5ILY

Granted, I would not recommend having your Drivers License number in the message, but Name and Phone Number should certainly go in it.

One of my portable ham radios has a small Splash screen that I entered my callsign into.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
if its an XT scanner you can create a system and LOCK it so it cant be modified or deleted (least not the conventional ways. And will show.
But that does the same as changing the splash screen
HOLD 2 + 9 will wipe all of it.

uniden should make a way to KEEP the info on the splash screen , or better yet require password to power on like on the GRE radios

OCO

It would be nice on the HP1 to set a timer for how long the splash screen displays (or password the screen as Kris suggests). While the HP1 splash could be wiped with a hard reset, the ESN isn't...this brings up some interesting possibilities for Sentinel to "phone home" during the weekly updates - wouldn't be hard to capture the IP address of any ESN that matched a "hot file".

JonCinMN

On the uniden splash screen, I put:

STOLEN FROM:
"MY NAME"
"PHONE #"
"EMAIL ADDY"

I've done the name and number, but I like the 'Stolen From'! I'm pretty sure the thief isn't smart enough to reprogram the scanner to get that out.

Plus, if they tried to sell at a Pawn shop, I'm sure you would have a good chance of getting your scanner back.

Last edited:

dsd5150

Worked for me a few times after leaving the scanner behind. I do this to any portables that I use for myself. I also do this when I program scanners for friends and family that have become addicted to carrying a handheld with them...

WAScanMan

I do this as well. It's the first thing I do when programming a new scanner. Of course, in my opinion, nothing works better than an engraver, but not everyone wants to take an engraver to their new $300+ toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.