If Someone Gave You A Blank Check For ANY Radio.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2NJS

One of those all-channel, all-band Global-Wulfsberg helo radios, but I'm not sure the current version also does P25, so maybe not.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

W2NJS said:
One of those all-channel, all-band Global-Wulfsberg helo radios, but I'm not sure the current version also does P25, so maybe not.

They do p25 now

AC9BX

It's difficult to decide. Does it have to actually be readily available for purchase?
ICOM IC-R9500 or Rohde & Schwarz ESMD would be considered first. Then JRC545, AOR AR2300, and TenTec RX340. But I doubt I would go for any of those if the check was blank. I could save up to buy some of the later choices.
If one were available I'd have an E H Scott Quaranta.

mm

Wulfsberg, now Cobham avionics, RT5000P.

The P version, being fully programmable of all analog and digital systems without needing a computer, was the last wideband, 29.7 to 960 MHz, version of the RT5000 line that I was on the design team before I moved on to bigger and better things.

Having designed the transmitter of this beast I'm still partial to this radio but i can't stand the wideband avionics blade antenna that comes with it, I'll stick to real antennas.

And yes this most recent version does all modes, AM (all standard bandwidths), FM (all bandwidths), P25, conventional and trunking with all encryption capabilities, AES, DES, DVI, DVP OTAR etc..

When I started on the design team in 1990 I wanted to put a coffee maker in it for the pilots but that was shot down as not needed by upper management, only to have some U.S. Customs and Border Patrol pilots (before DHS screwed them up) years later ask me if it was possible, its a feature that's still not in the radio.

For well over 50 thousand dollars, with all options including the dual P25 transceiver capability, the only way I could afford it now is if I won the lottery or was given the money.

Mike
Prescott AZ and Salem Ore. depending on what time of the month it is.

Last edited:

thomast77

I assume this blank check is for a single radio. So I would buy the most expensive radio I could find and sell it. Then buy many radios with the money. A few Scanners and maybe a nice HF rig or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.