If you are sending in your unit for the Legacy Upgrade - PLEASE READ

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzdiesel

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I even bought a new TRX-1 a few months back. I will switch to buying Uniden's if Whistler doesn't stop this chicken**** crap & help out these 668 & 800 owners. I believe Whistler will likely lose a lot of customers & future sales. They don't need bad publicity being this new in the scanner world!

KK2DOG

Premium Subscriber
What is this Whistler chicken-**** stuff that you speak of? I sent my STOCK 668 to Whistler and got it back after the upgrade and it works fine. If you sent a modified 668 to Whistler and now you're whining...well, that's on YOU.

w5rah

I think most would understand why Whistler may have written code to take away features from firmware not intended for legacy scanners. DonS and Cpunut do bring up some very valid points that maybe many didn't fully consider and I can see their positions. However, I think when the ability to roll back firmware to the original radio shack or GRE firmware is taken away or the ability to send it in for an official upgrade it's not a great marketing decision for customer retention or acquisition. I think most people who did the unofficial upgrade would be more than happy to send in their scanner for an official upgrade and when Whistler announced it, as that is what most were asking for and seeking for some time. I was very pleased to see them offer it and thought it was a great move on their part. I just hope that Whistler can upgrade legacy scanners, locked or not, so we can all move on. If one has a locked scanner that lost some abilities and they choose to not do the official upgrade, then they have accept their choice. I would just like to still see them have a choice.

TES

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I even bought a new TRX-1 a few months back. I will switch to buying Uniden's if Whistler doesn't stop this chicken**** crap & help out these 668 & 800 owners. I believe Whistler will likely lose a lot of customers & future sales. They don't need bad publicity being this new in the scanner world!
No dog here either. My Whistler scanners are a WS1080 & TRX-2. From what I've read, Whistler IS helping the 668 & 800 owners (Pro 18 owners too). Seems the only scanner owners having a problem are those that altered firmware in an attempt to get something for nothing. Poetic justice at its finest.

zzdiesel

You evidently didn't read very well. I said I don't have a dog in this hunt. I did NOT send one in. I spoke my opinion of a chicken**** way of doing business to a company's bread & butter! Just unbrick their radios that they legally bought & own! Who wouldn't done what most owners did by using the freely provided software? Support on these radios seemed to be dead & gone with GRE & RS both going under!

zzdiesel

No dog here either. My Whistler scanners are a WS1080 & TRX-2. From what I've read, Whistler IS helping the 668 & 800 owners (Pro 18 owners too). Seems the only scanner owners having a problem are those that altered firmware in an attempt to get something for nothing. Poetic justice at its finest.
Bull**** Mr Perfect!

Fasteddy2

Premium Subscriber
What is this Whistler chicken-**** stuff that you speak of? I sent my STOCK 668 to Whistler and got it back after the upgrade and it works fine. If you sent a modified 668 to Whistler and now you're whining...well, that's on YOU.

Did you thank ERIC COTTRELL for his work?If it was not for him you still be on stock firmware.

KK2DOG

Premium Subscriber
I think most would understand why Whistler may have written code to take away features from firmware not intended for legacy scanners. DonS and Cpunut do bring up some very valid points that maybe many didn't fully consider and I can see their positions. However, I think when the ability to roll back firmware to the original radio shack or GRE firmware is taken away or the ability to send it in for an official upgrade it's not a great marketing decision for customer retention or acquisition. I think most people who did the unofficial upgrade would be more than happy to send in their scanner for an official upgrade and when Whistler announced it, as that is what most were asking for and seeking for some time. I was very pleased to see them offer it and thought it was a great move on their part. I just hope that Whistler can upgrade legacy scanners, locked or not, so we can all move on. If one has a locked scanner that lost some abilities and they choose to not do the official upgrade, then they have accept their choice. I would just like to still see them have a choice.

W5RAH...I TOTALLY understand your point BUT Whistler set-up a program where an owner of a Radio Shack 668 can send it in and basically get a Whistler 1080 in return yet some folks chose to send in a hacked unit and then complain that it's not working properly when they got it back. NEWSFLASH FOLKS...DON'T send-in a hacked scanner to begin with!
t

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
This really isn't going anywhere.

Wendy can PM one of the moderators with any update to this and we'll open it back up then or start a new thread.

Everyone enjoy the rest of your weekend and don't think about this PR disaster.

I would suggest everyone with complaints/questions use the email address in the below linked post. That way it's an "official" answer.

https://forums.radioreference.com/w...s-suggestions-see-email-link.html#post2592427

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.