If you want to listen to Remote Links that have a CSQ do you have to listen to the constant tone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouisx50

I have read many CSQ Topics on the forum and I understand there is no tone to filter the signal. I have read the definition of CSQ. However if you want to listen to remote links in a rural area , do you have to just lock it on one frequency and listen since you cant filter out the constant tone? I swore there were remote links in the past that gave the constant tone, but when a radio keyed up, it gave a tone CTSS or DCS?

stlouisx50

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I would imagine the link radio would have the PL/DPL of whatever the channel it's inputting. Maybe try using that and see what happens.

ETA...The PL/DPL will probably only be present when it's actually receiving a signal.

stlouisx50

So the link does not have a inaudible tone, but the units that key up will have a unaudible tone though?

If that's the case, I'll have to listen to the audible tone until a radio keys up and then at that point program in the CTCSS or DCS tone so I can block out the audible tone?

I fell like I'm speaking Pig-Latin lol.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
So the link does not have a inaudible tone, but the units that key up will have a unaudible tone though?

If that's the case, I'll have to listen to the audible tone until a radio keys up and then at that point program in the CTCSS or DCS tone so I can block out the audible tone?

I fell like I'm speaking Pig-Latin lol.

That's my thinking.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Thunderknight is correct. I was responsible for our Motorola 800 MHz. FM analog Spectra-Tac repeater systems. All receivers were connected to the hub (or voter) via telephone lines (costly), and when they weren't receiving, they would send a continuous tone down the phone line. Because the method of "signal quality" and not signal strength got the best sounding signal through the voter/comparator, went to the console, and back out on the repeater output. I forget the tone, but it was deafening and necessary for the voter to work correctly. We had two completely separate repeater frequencies, five receive sites, and four transmitter sites. The transmitter sites each had a backup. That's why there were four sites and only two working separate independent repeaters. Most of the time, when the system(s) would fail, it was 85% telephone line faults. I remember meeting the radio repair contractor and Illinois Bell Telephone and getting them access to water towers, tops of tall buildings, and tower sites.

Again, the costs of telephone lines were costly! We could have utilized microwave links, but the powers-to-be opted not to purchase the microwave relay system and paid for telephone line interconnects through the nose.

Yes, there was no reason to listen to the receive sites because the signal they sent was over telephone lines, so you could only listen to the voted signal on the output of the repeaters. Or, for some reason, if you wanted to hear weak hand-helds, you could listen to the inputs, but to me, that was a total waste of time.

The agency I worked for (I've been retired from there 15 years) disbanded that Spectra-Tac system for police and kept ONE transmit site with companion receiver at the same site for Public Works. Everything else was dismantled and scrapped, I imagine. The agency has been with a central dispatch agency (DU-COMM) on Starcom21 for about ten years.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Thunderknight is correct. I was responsible for our Motorola 800 MHz. FM analog Spectra-Tac repeater systems. All receivers were connected to the hub (or voter) via telephone lines (costly), and when they weren't receiving, they would send a continuous tone down the phone line. Because the method of "signal quality" and not signal strength got the best sounding signal through the voter/comparator, went to the console, and back out on the repeater output. I forget the tone, but it was deafening and necessary for the voter to work correctly. We had two completely separate repeater frequencies, five receive sites, and four transmitter sites. The transmitter sites each had a backup. That's why there were four sites and only two working separate independent repeaters. Most of the time, when the system(s) would fail, it was 85% telephone line faults. I remember meeting the radio repair contractor and Illinois Bell Telephone and getting them access to water towers, tops of tall buildings, and tower sites.

Again, the costs of telephone lines were costly! We could have utilized microwave links, but the powers-to-be opted not to purchase the microwave relay system and paid for telephone line interconnects through the nose.

Yes, there was no reason to listen to the receive sites because the signal they sent was over telephone lines, so you could only listen to the voted signal on the output of the repeaters. Or, for some reason, if you wanted to hear weak hand-helds, you could listen to the inputs, but to me, that was a total waste of time.

The agency I worked for (I've been retired from there 15 years) disbanded that Spectra-Tac system for police and kept ONE transmit site with companion receiver at the same site for Public Works. Everything else was dismantled and scrapped, I imagine. The agency has been with a central dispatch agency (DU-COMM) on Starcom21 for about ten years.
Thanks for that explanation...never had much experience or exposure to listening to voter systems....

stlouisx50

Thanks for that explanation...never had much experience or exposure to listening to voter systems....

ecps92

Many altho sending the status idle tones, when quiet, did Pass the actual CTCSS when there was voice.
Sit on the channel and see if you get one or multiple PL tones, then program them vs CSQ

I remember when the Federal Bumbling Idiots used 406-420 as remote site links and we could use 167.9 to lock out the idle tone :)
You might try a DSP filter like Timewave DSP-599zX to notch out the "status tone" usually 2175 or 1950 Hz. There are cheaper filters that will do this or you could get a notch filter board from an old Motorola console or a comparator. .

Status
Not open for further replies.