If you're scared of heights don't click this video!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, but the guy climbing the TV tower was supposed to be there and was wearing PPE. These invincible clowns look like they're splat-batter.

frazpo

Climbing in Russia

Thats crazy. But I think this guy may be a bit more brave. Notice as he stands on top of antenna masts to reach the monument on top. Then it just gets stupid. Its not the height as much as it is what he trusting to hold on to.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fIRxt7Gihgk

Premium Subscriber
In my younger, skinnier days I was on a fire department rappel team and had climbed up/rappeled down to places most reasonable people wouldn't want to go, and done silly stuff like ridden on the outside of elevators, etc. It's all about trusting your team, trusting your equipment, using proper safety techniques, and training, training, training.

Now that Russian on the building - if I had stuff up there and I saw a video of him climbing my exposed dipole antenna for thrills, I'd be all over the legal system to prosecute him. It would be an expensive climb to have a professional put that up there. That had to be an open climb. He wasn't tied into any of the safeties. I guess he got down, but communications antennas are usually pretty flimsy. I wouldn't put my life on the line hanging off a U-bolt (pretty much what he did).

We had a problem in a rural area. Kids would toss a carpet over the fence to climb over the barbed wire. Then they would open-climb a 500 ft. tower with a backpack filled with beer (they left it all behind once). Then they'd mess with the beacons. I used to find broken lenses on the ground from time to time. Never did catch them, although we didn't try very hard. There was discussion about what we'd do if we did find a few up there. We weren't going up to get them. I suppose we'd have to wait down below... and they'd be out-waiting us up top. I'd hate to be the guy having to go up and get Junior because he's passed out drunk at the 480 ft. mark and his buddies had him hanging by his belt off a DB-224 element.

I don't climb anymore. Old, fat, and it's not a good thing for osteoarthritis in the knees.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
From the blog of Raskalov, one of the climbers:

Few months ago me and dedmaxopka planned to travel to Chinese largest cities, starting from Hong Kong and ending in Shanghai. Our maing goal was the tallest construction in the world - Shangha Tower, which is still under construction, it's height is little over 650 metres at the moment, which makes it second tallest building after Burj Khalifa in Emirates.

Knowing about strict Chinese laws, we prepared quite thoroughly for this and chose the most approriate date - Chinese New Year. During this holiday security was less vigilant, there were no workers on the site and construction cranes didn't work. We sneaked into the site during the midnight, then climbed 120 flours for two hours and had to sleep almost 18 hours on the site waiting for a good weather.

poltergeisty

Ballsy, very ballsy with the frost. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9h4ddFUPxM

When I was younger I climbed up to the high school roof which must have been 100 feet. Next I had enough balls to climb a grain elevator! LOL!! :lol: But that was with a ladder. Back then there wasn't Go Pros to have. The cameras of the day were something like this: http://www.insidedgw.com/wp-content/gallery/701-800/790 Minolta Master Series V-1400 Camcorder.jpg

My dad lugged that kind of camera around at Disneyland on all the rides. LMAO!

Premium Subscriber
I'd call them vandals, but that's just me. I'd hate to be picking my kid up with a shovel (as a former EMT and then paramedic I've seen and pronounced [dead] "road pizza"; more than I care to remember).

I've done some of these things, too, as a young jackass. I went to one of the videos after the ones you posted and saw someone jump off a bridge. I didn't exactly do that, but did bungee jump off one in the late 80s. I've also gone skydiving (just once), but unlike the guy at 2:48, I was up a little higher out of the plane and my parachute opened.

And now, my 17 year-old wants to go on a catapult at a boardwalk.

I guess this comes full circle. I keep telling him, "Don't come home in a bag!" I really mean it, too.

Premium Subscriber

poltergeisty

Damn it! My user CPL doesn't update and I almost didn't see your response. Thanks!

I wonder if this is for Russia's public safety or something considering it's in the 380 to 470 MHz range. I thought it was for cell.

I was thinking maybe something like that would make a good scanner antenna, but I didn't find any on eBay.

Yeah, there's no way in hell I could climb those antennas. I weigh about 330 pounds! Although I'm 6' tall and I don't look it.

Edit- Ah! So it looks like those antennas could be for Moscow's public safety! http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7253

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.