• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IFR-1000 strange frequency offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH6LE

As I've seen other service monitor questions asked here, I though this is the best place for mine. Sorry if I'm wrong!

I have an IFR-1000A that is generating/receiving the wrong frequency.

Selected versus actual (as determined on 2 other "known to be good" monitors)

100 mHz is 1 kHz high
200 mHz is 2 kHz high
300 mHz is 3 kHz high
400 mHz is 4 kHz high
500 mHz is 5 kHz high
600 mHz is 6 kHz high
700 mHz is 7 kHz high
800 mHz is 8 kHz high
900 mHz is 9 kHz high

Seems to me this is probably a divider chain issue but I just can't wrap my head around where to look - the actual programmable divider chain or something in the reference osc. chain.

Comments would be greatly appreciated

prcguy

Sounds like a reference osc problem and that will show proportionally more offset as you go higher in frequency just like what you see. Measure the ref osc separately with a known good freq counter. The 1000 series is getting pretty old and those oscillators will drift over time.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
As I've seen other service monitor questions asked here, I though this is the best place for mine. Sorry if I'm wrong!

I have an IFR-1000A that is generating/receiving the wrong frequency.

Selected versus actual (as determined on 2 other "known to be good" monitors)

100 mHz is 1 kHz high
200 mHz is 2 kHz high
300 mHz is 3 kHz high
400 mHz is 4 kHz high
500 mHz is 5 kHz high
600 mHz is 6 kHz high
700 mHz is 7 kHz high
800 mHz is 8 kHz high
900 mHz is 9 kHz high

Seems to me this is probably a divider chain issue but I just can't wrap my head around where to look - the actual programmable divider chain or something in the reference osc. chain.

Comments would be greatly appreciated

We all assume your "mHz" was meant to be "MHz", as otherwise what yous said is impossible.

RFI-EMI-GUY

1633827017094.png
1633827076142.png

You should probably download the service manual from RepeaterBuilder site and verify the tuning of the reference oscillator. I think this may be a strange beast.

AH6LE

View attachment 110571
View attachment 110572

You should probably download the service manual from RepeaterBuilder site and verify the tuning of the reference oscillator. I think this may be a strange beast.

As I posted, the reference oscillator is dead on and I have poured over the SM from RB plenty! :oops: I'm still thinking that the 1 KHz increase in error per 100 Mhz must have something to do with the divider chain. Problem is, it looks as if the thumbwheels drive 3 different boards!

prcguy

I believe the problem is on the reference osc side of the synthesizer and if it were on the output side you would have the same error at all frequencies. If the master osc is divided into something else like starting at 10MHz and eventually becoming 5 or 1MHz then that divider chain might be something to look at. I would study the schematic and see what the master osc freq is and how its used in the synthesizer.

1KHz off at 100MHz is actually not that much and I can adjust the master osc in my IFR 1200S to be off by 1KHz at 100MHz and that will become 9KHz off at 900MHz. Have you tried adjusting the master osc?

As I posted, the reference oscillator is dead on and I have poured over the SM from RB plenty! :oops: I'm still thinking that the 1 KHz increase in error per 100 Mhz must have something to do with the divider chain. Problem is, it looks as if the thumbwheels drive 3 different boards!

RFI-EMI-GUY

I think it is odd that the procedure has you tuning WWV +1 KHz to hear a zero beat note. I have no doubt the ref osc should be tuned right at 10.00000 MHz, it just seems there is some IF wizardry afoot with other modulation and IF generation.

prcguy

If you have a big enough antenna you should be able to tune WWV directly on the IFR at 5, 10, 15 or 20MHz and use the front panel frequency meter to check accuracy. Going 1KHz off frequency will give you a 1KHz tone in SSB mode but I don't think the 1000 has an SSB mode and thats not very useful unless you specifically have a USB and LSB mode to compare the tone. You can also look up a couple of your local TV stations and tune in the ATSC pilot frequency which is almost certainly using a wicked good frequency standard.

I think it is odd that the procedure has you tuning WWV +1 KHz to hear a zero beat note. I have no doubt the ref osc should be tuned right at 10.00000 MHz, it just seems there is some IF wizardry afoot with other modulation and IF generation.

RFI-EMI-GUY

If you have a big enough antenna you should be able to tune WWV directly on the IFR at 5, 10, 15 or 20MHz and use the front panel frequency meter to check accuracy. Going 1KHz off frequency will give you a 1KHz tone in SSB mode but I don't think the 1000 has an SSB mode and thats not very useful unless you specifically have a USB and LSB mode to compare the tone. You can also look up a couple of your local TV stations and tune in the ATSC pilot frequency which is almost certainly using a wicked good frequency standard.
Read my post #5, specifically sections 5.2.2 and 5.2.3 (I think there is a typo at 5.2.3 1 MHz should be 1 Hz. ) There is implied an internal "Master oscillator" at WWV + 1 KHz.

AH6LE

I believe the problem is on the reference osc side of the synthesizer and if it were on the output side you would have the same error at all frequencies. If the master osc is divided into something else like starting at 10MHz and eventually becoming 5 or 1MHz then that divider chain might be something to look at. I would study the schematic and see what the master osc freq is and how its used in the synthesizer.

1KHz off at 100MHz is actually not that much and I can adjust the master osc in my IFR 1200S to be off by 1KHz at 100MHz and that will become 9KHz off at 900MHz. Have you tried adjusting the master osc?

IFR sure does use some convoluted engineering. Guess I'll just work my way through all this with a 'scope and freq counter

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 9

AH6LE

Read my post #5, specifically sections 5.2.2 and 5.2.3 (I think there is a typo at 5.2.3 1 MHz should be 1 Hz. ) There is implied an internal "Master oscillator" at WWV + 1 KHz.

Yea, I've been through that and it all works as they say it should. Still, things are increasingly off with increasing frequency

RFI-EMI-GUY

Just for a sanity check, keep in mind that the frequency generation of these older units is very dirty because they use comb generation and unfiltered mixing of several sources. So using a frequency counter or spectrum analyser to observe the output spectrum may be misleading. See if an actual receiver, a decent one responds to an on frequency signal.

AH6LE

As my OP said, my 2 other service monitors say it's off and actual radios also show it's off, even in generate mode.

prcguy

Do you have any adjustment range on the master osc? I've only used a 1000 once and don't know the setup but my 1200S has a trimmer on the front panel. I would generate to a frequency counter or other known good service monitor then tweak the master osc.

Does the 1000 lock up to an external 10MHz source? If so it would be an interesting experiment to do that then see if its still off freq. If that works you can get a highly accurate GPS disciplined osc for a little over $100.

As my OP said, my 2 other service monitors say it's off and actual radios also show it's off, even in generate mode.

AH6LE

Actually, I followed the procedure in the manual - set the front panel adjust to midrange and adjusted the trimmer in the Master Osc itself.

prcguy

Yes, that would be correct for a master osc that has an internal trimmer and external adjust. Tweak either one until the whole box generates on frequency then map it out from 100MHz to 900MHz, etc.

Actually, I followed the procedure in the manual - set the front panel adjust to midrange and adjusted the trimmer in the Master Osc itself.

AH6LE

Yes, that would be correct for a master osc that has an internal trimmer and external adjust. Tweak either one until the whole box generates on frequency then map it out from 100MHz to 900MHz, etc.

Exactly what I did before I started this thread. Other than this issue, the darn thing works fine!
(well....except for the AUTO thing but first things first)

prcguy

Now I'm really confused. If you were able to tweak the master osc so the 1000A will generate on frequency, then what is the problem? Is the master osc too far off to generate on frequency?

Exactly what I did before I started this thread. Other than this issue, the darn thing works fine!
(well....except for the AUTO thing but first things first)

AH6LE

Now I'm really confused. If you were able to tweak the master osc so the 1000A will generate on frequency, then what is the problem? Is the master osc too far off to generate on frequency?

What I am saying is the 10 MHz reference oscillator in on frequency (it wasn't that far off to begin with) yet the frequency error(s) I listed when I started this thread remain.

And the frequency error(s) affect both receive and generate, just as they did when I started this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.