• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IFR-1000 strange frequency offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH6LE

I'm not aware of any that will work on a 1000.

Besides, I'm pretty sure it's not worth investing that much into one

prcguy

It sounds like you are targeting the master osc and setting it to exactly 10.000000MHz then finding the the 1000A is progressively off at the generate/measure port. Try ignoring the 10MHz osc freq and just adjust it to make the 1000A on frequency at the generate/measure port.

What I am saying is the 10 MHz reference oscillator in on frequency (it wasn't that far off to begin with) yet the frequency error(s) I listed when I started this thread remain.

And the frequency error(s) affect both receive and generate, just as they did when I started this thread

AH6LE

It sounds like you are targeting the master osc and setting it to exactly 10.000000MHz then finding the the 1000A is progressively off at the generate/measure port. Try ignoring the 10MHz osc freq and just adjust it to make the 1000A on frequency at the generate/measure port.

Are you suggesting this as a test?

prcguy

Yes. I'll bet a single dollar that if you tweak the master osc while measuring the generator output of the 1000A to be right on freq it will probably work fine. If you get it to within say 10Hz at 100MHz it will be 50Hz off at 500MHz, 90Hz off at 900MHz and so on, but that's exactly how its supposed to work.

I've calibrated my IFR a hundred times over the last 25yrs and have never measured the master osc, I zero it out receiving a UHF TV station, either the video carrier on older AM modulated systems or the pilot on ATSC stations. The higher in frequency you make the measurement like TV channel 58 instead of TV channel 4, the more accurate you have made the instrument.

For you I would try TV station KRCW 32 or KPDX 49 if they are within range.

BTW Paypal will be fine for the one dollar payment.

Are you suggesting this as a test?

AH6LE

Yes. I'll bet a single dollar that if you tweak the master osc while measuring the generator output of the 1000A to be right on freq it will probably work fine. If you get it to within say 10Hz at 100MHz it will be 50Hz off at 500MHz, 90Hz off at 900MHz and so on, but that's exactly how its supposed to work.

I've calibrated my IFR a hundred times over the last 25yrs and have never measured the master osc, I zero it out receiving a UHF TV station, either the video carrier on older AM modulated systems or the pilot on ATSC stations. The higher in frequency you make the measurement like TV channel 58 instead of TV channel 4, the more accurate you have made the instrument.

For you I would try TV station KRCW 32 or KPDX 49 if they are within range.

BTW Paypal will be fine for the one dollar payment.

OK, so I did that and it seems to have corrected the huge amount of error. BUT, should I not be concerned the Mastr Osc isn't dead on 10 MHz?

prcguy

I don't know how the 1000A divides and uses the 10MHz or even if its actually supposed to be 10.000000MHz. I also don't know the factory procedure for putting the 1000A on frequency but for my 1200S and most others you get the most accuracy from receiving a known accurate signal at the highest possible frequency the instrument can receive or close to 1GHz and zeroing that out on the instruments frequency meter. TV transmitters are all locked to GPS or better and are excellent sources to tune a service monitor, especially high UHF channels.

I'm also not familiar with your specific 1000A and when the last time you calibrated it. I mentioned before the 1000A series is very old and if it hasn't been tweaked on frequency in 20yrs it could easily have drifted enough to cause the problems described.

OK, so I did that and it seems to have corrected the huge amount of error. BUT, should I not be concerned the Mastr Osc isn't dead on 10 MHz?

AH6LE

I don't know how the 1000A divides and uses the 10MHz or even if its actually supposed to be 10.000000MHz. I also don't know the factory procedure for putting the 1000A on frequency but for my 1200S and most others you get the most accuracy from receiving a known accurate signal at the highest possible frequency the instrument can receive or close to 1GHz and zeroing that out on the instruments frequency meter. TV transmitters are all locked to GPS or better and are excellent sources to tune a service monitor, especially high UHF channels.

I'm also not familiar with your specific 1000A and when the last time you calibrated it. I mentioned before the 1000A series is very old and if it hasn't been tweaked on frequency in 20yrs it could easily have drifted enough to cause the problems described.

The 1000 does use some interesting mixing schemes to arrive at the end result but the 10 MHz reference osc is still in charge. I'm going to let everything remain powered for a few hours and check the freq of the reference then. I'll report back.

it might be interesting to note that I've had the 1000A for several years as my "take to the sites" SM. I keep a 1600 on my bench.

The 1000A died a few weeks ago, due to a failed power supply/regulator assembly. I replaced it with a modern equivalents (bucking regulators) and got it going again with a minimum of hassle and expense (cost like $50) In the meantime, I traded some other stuff for a 1000s that also had a bad power supply. I gave it the same treatment and it is 100% (now I'm going to calibrate it).

Anyway.......

AH6LE

I don't get it (must be op error). The thing seems to be accurate now and the 10 MHz reference osc shows it's on too. I swear it was zero beat with WWV before all this......

Anyway, thanks to all for offering a helping hand and prcguy, where do I PayPal the buck? (I'm serious!)

Now to attack the lack of Rx unless in AUTO mode....

prcguy

I had a funny feeling it might not have been broken and I'm glad its working now. I will PM you my paypal account # but no rush.

I don't get it (must be op error). The thing seems to be accurate now and the 10 MHz reference osc shows it's on too. I swear it was zero beat with WWV before all this......

Anyway, thanks to all for offering a helping hand and prcguy, where do I PayPal the buck? (I'm serious!)

Now to attack the lack of Rx unless in AUTO mode....

Status
Not open for further replies.