• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IFR-500AM/FM power supply blow'd up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VK5ZEA

Hi Everybody,

My beloved IFR500AM/FM has a dead/dying power supply. It's been repaired several times by an Australian service/calibration lab... but now it has been declared terminal, parts are no longer available.

From what I have read, the IFR 500AM/FM power supply seems to be the weak point in an otherwise fairly solid bit of test equipment. Is there any hope or should I forget about trying to get it going again.

What is a good low-end replacement/equivalent? Don't really need any trunking or digital capabilities. SSB would be great (I do a lot of marine HF repair work).

Michael VK5ZEA
Port Lincoln
South Australia

prcguy

There is no good low end replacement for an IFR500, you would give up a lot of quality, accuracy and stability in my opinion.

I assume it's the regulator section that's giving you the trouble and the old design is full of power wasting and heat generating linear regulators.

There are some pre-packaged universal switching regulators made in China that will take any unregulated voltage from about 9 to 32v and give you 1 to 32v adjustable output floating from the input. You could keep the IFR power transformer, rectifiers and filters then upgrade the various regulators.

The switching regulators are about 90% efficient, tiny in size and you may be able to fit the them iside the existing power supply area on the IFR. Check marcmart.usa seller on EBay, they have an assortment of switching regulators in many different wattage ratings. Ive bought several and am pleased with the quality.
prcguy

Last edited:

VK5ZEA

I need to get some power supplies for testing purposes. I'm not interesting in keeping the 12V DC or battery operation.

The 500AM/FM needs +40V, +/-12V and 5V for operation. +40V is the only issue I have at the moment, my adjustable power supply only goes up to around 32V.

I think the 40V rail is low at the moment... I need to determine if it is the power supply, or if something else is dragging it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.