ignition noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang108

Premium Subscriber
Hi hope someone has suggestions, I have a two meter radio, Icom 2100 hooked up in

my 2002 Chev s10 PU. Trouble is when truck running have a Popping static in the

radio on receive, I have tryied to find bad ground wire,all are tight. The factory truck radio

works fine. I can even have radio on inside house with truck running outside and can hear the

static in the house on radio from my truck running.

any suggestions

Mustang 108

tngeezer

If the problem was confined to the radio in vehicle,I would be sure to wire the radio in to the fuse/relay block .Not on a random wire ,or move the radio wiring to a different fuse block terminal,but with it causing problems inside your house it must be airborne static.Remember also theres a lot of wireless transmitters on your truck.Low tire pressure sensors are wireless transmitters so is On Star if equiped,keyless entry etc.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A lot of things can radiate "popping static" while ignition noise is unique being RPM dependent. That should give you a clue where to start and we can take it from there once the source has been isolated. More information please, feed me.

KOK5CY

I would suggest running the ground lead to a point on the firewall . You'r am/fm radio ground is bolted to a spot on the firewall . I'd make sure that when and if you do bolt directly to the firewall make sure the surface area is free of paint , oil's and the area is clean shiny steel and use a star washer so that when you bolt that ground lead down it'll have a much better contact . I'd also suggest using the direct to battery method and use 10ga wire with a 25amp fuse at the battery .

That's what most of you'r HIGH end stereo shop's do for amp installs and so do the 2-way radio shop's .

Just My .02

W0JJK

Is it on just on one frequency, or is it on more than one?

Some vehilces has RF issues, Saturns put a spur out on 146.52 Mhz and I can hear it when they are about 30 feet away.

Status
Not open for further replies.