• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ignition power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

zrock

Instead of spending the money on the add on for ignition power on. Would a relay on the hot or ground line work instead? I found a heavy duty 200 amp relay with terminal studs similar to a starter relay. Was hoping this would work instead. Don't really want to spend $150 on the add in board if I don't have to because I'm to lazy to reach down and turn it on..lol..

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

12dbsinad

You can use a external relay, no need to purchase the ignition cable (I am assuming you're referring to the Icom OPC cable), although 150 seems a little on the high side.

A 5 dollar 30 amp horn relay will work just fine if all you're powering is just the radio.

zrock

I live in Canada cheapest I can find is $70 for the opc-1939 cable. By the time I factor in exchange and shipping and duty... you get the idea. I have the icom 5023h and if I use a relay it will remember it's last setting of on when I shut ignition down? I figure a heavy duty relay with studs will equall out to less power loss to the radio.

tekheavy

Since you're disconnecting the A+ lead with the relay, if you have more then one channel in the radio, it may revert back to channel 1 over time after cycling the power, but as long as the radio is not programmed for ignition control, it will always go on and off with the ignition provided you wire the relay correctly.

12dbsinad

It will retain memory, scanning, and all that, so no worry's there. A large solenoid/relay with studs (50/75/100+ amp) are overkill for just the radio, but will not hurt anything. Just make sure it's properly fused and your ignition sense is also properly fused wherever that is tapped off from.

zrock

OK thanks.. most of the time I have my radio set to scan. Thanks for the info

12dbsinad

Since you're disconnecting the A+ lead with the relay, if you have more then one channel in the radio, it may revert back to channel 1 over time after cycling the power.

Not with Icom. At least, I have yet to find any US models that loose memory.

zrock

Both my ground and positive are fused at the battery. Trigger wire will be fused at its pickup point

12dbsinad

OK thanks.. most of the time I have my radio set to scan. Thanks for the info

Just remember if you want it to scan all the time even when powered on and off, set the appropriate scan settings, like "power on scan".

zrock

Ya it's already set for power on scan... usually leave it on scan due to the fact some of the local loggers cannot get used to the new freq for logging roads and keep reverting back to old freq. Then I can quickly program my priority keys and I'm safe :) thanks for the info... maby I'll look for a smaller relay but would like to find one with the studs. Then no worries of them working loose

12dbsinad

I have had good luck with the Tyco 75A relay. They are black plastic. Although the coil is spade terminals, in and out are screw down terminals. I have had better luck with these than the "tin can" style ones. Those sometimes with age will stick, and you have to give them a good wack then they'll work. More so if you're drawing small amounts of power thru them.

zrock

I just checked that one out on amazon.ca....it must be something they do not want to ship to Canada... $80 was the cheapest...lol

zrock

Lol
c606df64a4a3c6c35e6ee2c35cad36e6.jpg

zrock

I stopped using eBay.. had a issue with a $400 purchase and eBay would not step up and solve the issue. That and it usually takes me 2 months to receive anything

Status
Not open for further replies.