• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ignition scene cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucknut937

Premium Subscriber
I recently got a newer vehicle and the fuses all stay at 12.6 volts when the vehicle is not running. I contacted my kenwood dealer and they told me i need an ignition scene cable for 79.00. is there anyway around this 79.00 fee. Im installing an 8360 into my service van. I just wanna be able to have the radio turn off when the car is not running.

Thanks
ZAC

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
That's an ignition "sense" cable. It is connected to a point of 12 volts that is controlled by the ignition switch and the other end goes to the radio. The radio is connected to a constant point of 12 volts and the ignition sense wire tells the radio to turn on or off with the ignition.
BB

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Kenwood KCT-18 ignition sense cable has a list price of $13.70, the dealer pays less than that for it. I'd hope the $79.00 they quoted you included the install and programming. If not, you need to rethink your choice in dealers.

The KCT-18 cable is nothing more than a female "bullet" type connector, a couple of feet of yellow 18 gauge wire, a fuse holder and a 3 amp fuse. Building your own could be done for a couple of bucks easily.

The radio will need to be programmed to respond to the ignition sense signal. This is pretty easy to do. You can program the radio to turn on/off with the ignition, turn off after a delay of a time you set, or to turn on/off with the ignition and the power switch.

Finding an ignition switched circuit would likely be the hardest part of this. There are often more than one fuse box in modern vehicles. See if there is another one under the hood.

bucknut937

Premium Subscriber
Okay only was able to find the ignition coil that was controlled off/on but it also controlled the ac unit and some relays. I'll tap e sence cable to that and see if it works I didn't feel comfortable tapping my power leads to that 20amp fuse. I figured if you had the ac on and transmitting it could cause problems.

Thanks
Zac

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The ignition sense circuit only uses a few milliamps. It's unlikely it's going to pop a fuse on it's own. The main power for the radio still comes through the normal DC input.

Status
Not open for further replies.