• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ignition sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmelville42

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps someone more electrically sophisticated than me can help here. My F5160 is successfully installed in-vehicle. Worked great with power feed directly off the battery, ignition sense wire hooked to the cigarette lighter, and dimmer pin connected to the parking light fuse. The radio would always shut off when the ignition was turned off. It would occasionally turn on when I turned on the vehicle (I don't know why). Now the ignition sense doesn't work at all - neither on nor off. What is the required voltage on that line, and how is it supposed to operate?

Chris

12dbsinad

Perhaps someone more electrically sophisticated than me can help here. My F5160 is successfully installed in-vehicle. Worked great with power feed directly off the battery, ignition sense wire hooked to the cigarette lighter, and dimmer pin connected to the parking light fuse. The radio would always shut off when the ignition was turned off. It would occasionally turn on when I turned on the vehicle (I don't know why). Now the ignition sense doesn't work at all - neither on nor off. What is the required voltage on that line, and how is it supposed to operate?

Chris

Chris,

If im undenderstanding this correctly, you have the ignition lead (the small orange wire with the bullet connector) connected to 2 sources, the dimmer control and 12v outlet which I would assum is switched? If so, I dont understand the connection to the dimmer circuit. Try disconnecting the dimmer pin source, This could possibly be your issue.

cmelville42

Premium Subscriber
Actually, the dimmer pin on the radio is in the 25 pin DSUB connector on the back panel. It is wired independently to the parking fuse and continues to work nicely.

My only problem lies with the ignition sense wiring.

12dbsinad

Okay i got it, thanks for the clarification. The ignition line is enabled/disabled via the software. The required voltage is regular vehicle voltage, however I have had an issue with one in the past where the vehicle had a weak battery, voltage would drop below 10 volts during crank and radios would fail to detect ignition sense even when vehicle started okay. Not saying its the battery, but check the voltage at both the main power plug at the radio and ignition sense. They should be close to the same within reason. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.