I'll beat the PRO-97 rebanding dead horse again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack08

What happens if you are trying to scan a system that does not have any frequencies between 866 and 869? All the systems I monitor are between 854 and 862, so maybe I will still be able to track them after rebanding.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Posted several times in this very thread: "It is likely that Motorola systems with channels currently between 851-861 MHz will still function"

ace755

This is a Quote from another web site.

Pro-2055 and Pro-97
Rebanding supported? YES However: it appears that the scanner must be returned to Tandy for a retrofit

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ace755 said:
This is a Quote from another web site.

Pro-2055 and Pro-97
Rebanding supported? YES However: it appears that the scanner must be returned to Tandy for a retrofit
Ace, that's the problem. This time last summer, Radio Shack was mentioning the return for a board requirement, as their scanners cannot have the firmware updated in the field like the newer Unidens.

The Shack's current posting on their website merely staes that their non-digital scanners will have a problem, with nothing noted as to what plans, if any, there are to deal with the issue. Gone are any refereences to any board exchange, at customer, company, or shared expense. The quotes from the other sites that I've seen do not reflect this apparent change in Radio Shack strategy. They imply that the exchange program is still alive & kicking, even though Radio Shack no longer addresses the issue at all.

Of course, rebanding is not going as quickly as originally scheduled, and policy could change yet again. But for now, what they have posted is all we have to rely on, not on statements made last year.

ace755

I guess we can thank NEXTEL for this inconvenience. <Think I spelled that right?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ace755 said:
I guess we can thank NEXTEL for this inconvenience. <Think I spelled that right?
Blame them, cuss them, whatever.
In any event, don't lose sight of a couple of things. Regardless of whether the Pro-97 can be rebanded or not for revamped Motorola systems, it will remain a good conventional and mil-air scanner. And, it will still work just fine for EDACS and LTR systems.

I have several older Unidens that won't be supported for rebanding, such as the BC780 and a 250D (with digital card). But I have other uses in mind for them.

ace755

hiegtx said:
Blame them, cuss them, whatever.
To be honest with you hiegtx, I could careless about the 800 MHz band where I’m at, there is plenty of action on UHF/VHF/AIR/MIL/RR…… then I can handle.

bill44

rebanding

by the time rebanding gets here these radios
bill will to old to use

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Very very wrong. No wonder so many people get confused...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Two Motorola systems currently have license change applications in with the FCC to implement rebanding under new frequencies (about 30 systems have received licenses under rebanding but they are all either LTR or EDACS, which don't need a firmware update to continue tracking, or are MOT systems that that do not require any frequency changes from their old license assignments, thus no changes to the control channel). Until at least one system is implemented that goes to the new control channel format, no one can say whether any scanner will work on a Motorola rebanded system under any conditions.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
rdale said:
The original GRE scanner used the low-speed data included on old Motorola trunked systems to do that, such an option won't work these days (and it wasn't good to begin with.)
While this is true (it not working well); at least my old Pro-92 (orig model) will work after re-banding, whereas I will have a lot of conventional scanners that used to be trunk-trackers (including a Pro-91). Oh well, I am moving again and it appears that 800Mhz is not so popular in Amarillo. :D

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
rdale said:
Posted several times in this very thread: "It is likely that Motorola systems with channels currently between 851-861 MHz will still function"
The Moto channel assignments for 854-861 will not change. Only frequencies directly impacted by 866 (ie., 851-854) will have their channel assignments changed.

-Wayne

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
ace755 said:
Maybe this link may help, (bottom of the page in red.)

http://www.grove-ent.com/radiorumors.html

Grove mentions reprogramming the PRO-97, and yet says the 2055 (that uses the same firmware as the 97) will need replaced. Grove also has a link to the WPA site, that I reported earlyer that also has the same incompete, or contradictory information about the 97 and 2055.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
DaveIN said:
Grove mentions reprogramming the PRO-97, and yet says the 2055 (that uses the same firmware as the 97) will need replaced. Grove also has a link to the WPA site, that I reported earlyer that also has the same incompete, or contradictory information about the 97 and 2055.
Grove can be wrong (and is). The Pro-97, if you have an affected system, will not work.

The original Pro-92 will work (not the A/B or 2067). It is assumed by people who seem to know, that you will be able to use the multi-table setup for the Pro-96/2096 to adapt it if necessary to an affected system. ALL other current RS scanners will not work based on the current information from RS, Don Star and how it is assumed Motorola will change the channeling format.

You can complain, you can continue to beat the equine carcass, but this information has been around for well over a year, so anyone who bought a Pro-97 (or 2055) scanner since May or June of 2005 should have been aware of it (maybe even earlier). If you are one, you only have yourself to blame for buying a product that will not be updated or able to have a work around applied. The only way a Pro-97 (or 2055) will work with the new channel lineup is if RS decides to update the Pro-97/2055 firmware, which will mean a trip back to RS for a hardware retrofit. Since the current evidence from RS seems to indicate that isn't going to happen just convince yourself that you have a nice Trunktracking II type scanner (EDACS & LTR).

D

DaveNF2G

My PRO-97 has already been reassigned to replace my PRO-43 for aviation and milair. More channels, alpha tags, what's not to like? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.