• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Illegal, easy to get...but are they really wrong??

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
The problem with those are that they don't discriminate what 800mhz freq's they jam... With more and more PS Agencies using 800mhz I think you can understand the problem.

Hacker Group Vows To Jam Police Radios*|*Dispatch Magazine On-Line*********

Edit: I just got to the public safety paragraph... Up here in MN we knew about this 2 weeks after switching to ARMER I wish I had a picture of the Chief in the radio shop when we showed him the "Test"

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I always chuckle when cops complain about scanners, but never mention these.

If I was a bank robber I know I'd rather be able to cut communications of the Officer behind/chasing me, than hear what he's saying. (But I'm sure Encryption stops this too ;) lol)

gewecke

Banned
I always chuckle when cops complain about scanners, but never mention these.

If I was a bank robber I know I'd rather be able to cut communications of the Officer behind/chasing me, than hear what he's saying. (But I'm sure Encryption stops this too ;) lol)

Maybe, but I tend to think most cops (at least those I know well) are not even aware of this technology. If they were then they might worry more. I'm not saying that cops are stupid mind you, but maybe a little less tech savvy than you or I.
This is a little like the use of bleach or pulverized glass by a robber being chased by k9's, hence you don't want to hurt them just get them to stop chasing you and this will do just that.

n9zas

Cheesedoff

We actually had a gas station in the area that was jamming our 800 mhz portables and cell phones. They thought it was funny until the chief called them about it. It was not funny.

gewecke

Banned
We actually had a gas station in the area that was jamming our 800 mhz portables and cell phones. They thought it was funny until the chief called them about it. It was not funny.

This happens all over the u.s. by these jammers. The fcc actually posts a page that documents these cases and their outcome.

Jammer Enforcement | FCC.gov

Nevertheless, the devices are still being sold to the u.s. consumers.

n9zas

SCPD

QRT
More of a social comment

I’m pretty sure I’ll never actually go out and buy one, but I gotta admit, there is one situation when I really wish I had one. When parents keep their nose buried in the device and ignore their kids.

One time, I was waiting at a tire store, and this little girl kept trying to show her dad what she colored. He just ignored her, and could not keep his eyes and fingers off his phone the whole time we were both there. I could see the hurt in her eyes every time he blew her off “not now, not now”.

Or weekend dads. You see them at restaurants with their kids. The kid’s are sitting in silence looking at each other with a “So when will this be over?” look while dad is texting away, his streaming facebook more important than his flesh and blood. Can’t leave the phone in the car for a lousy hour?

These are the times I would just love to have a little pocket jammer.

I’m pretty sure I’ll never actually go out and buy one, but I gotta admit, there is one situation when I really wish I had one. When parents keep their nose buried in the device and ignore their kids.

yeah,,restaurants are great too..you can observe a family of 5 not say a word to eachother...
faces in a device of 1 form or another....

my wife n I will do voice overs,,,or narrations..cracks the kids up...

gewecke

Banned
Both are excellent examples why one might employ a jammer. :wink: It seems that quite often there can be a thin line between right and wrong here.

n9zas

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I agree, scanners are the least of the problem. There was a bank robbery in my area and the robbers placed a dozen or so jammers around the area of a bank. No cell, GPS, or 800mhz radio traffic within a block or two....

gewecke

Banned
I agree, scanners are the least of the problem. There was a bank robbery in my area and the robbers placed a dozen or so jammers around the area of a bank. No cell, GPS, or 800mhz radio traffic within a block or two....

So what's the current status of these alleged bank robbers?

n9zas

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
So what's the current status of these alleged bank robbers?

n9zas

I'm still here, and free! :D Kidding of course... But I bet these work on the trackers the Tellers stick in the bag with the money too.

Man, these things are a Criminal's God send.

Confuzzled

This federal offense should rate a twenty year sentence.

And there's the thought process that leads to prison overcrowding and early release of violent offenders.

Like I said on the other thread, these devices should be legal. Fine tune them to work only on assigned cell frequencies and for limited range so a restaurant or store could disable cell phones within their own property.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You cannot use a transmitting device to disable public utilities.
As for overcrowding, and I have said it for years, the death penalty for all felonies. Put one in the chair, let them all hold hands in a big circle and throw the switch. This will create plenty of room in the prisons. Problem solved.

jackj

What about the phones on 2 GHz? PCS phones are up in that neighborhood, does this device jam them?:

gtriever

Premium Subscriber
And there's the thought process that leads to prison overcrowding and early release of violent offenders.

Like I said on the other thread, these devices should be legal. Fine tune them to work only on assigned cell frequencies and for limited range so a restaurant or store could disable cell phones within their own property.

Then, when you miss that emergency call, let the lawsuits begin...

RadioDaze

Whatever you do with one of those things, make sure you don't jam a Constitutional law attorney. A device that intentionally interferes with a citizen's communications sounds like a good way to wind up in front of a Federal court on a First Amendment issue.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Clacking rocks together: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

This must be the social conscience thread. Using a jammer because we think a Dad isn't paying enough attention to his kids - really? Do you dart in front of someone in traffic if you think they're driving too fast too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.