• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Illegal transmissions from Baofeng-type radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonvenusti

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Someone still has to program the radios. They don't come out of the box on an agency's frequency."

Sometimes they do. Both my UV5Rs came with a few HAM frequencies and about a dozen or so other seemingly random frequencies I didn't recognise, although they both included 154.680 (a Washington State Patrol frequency used in my area; formerly FM, now P25.) I think they're actually programmed as "test frequencies" at the factory or at Sain Store, and it's just by chance that one of them happens to be a public service frequency in the area the radio ends up in.

i have bought 4 this is just a flat out lie . youre telling me the chinese people making these things over seas know or care what washington state patrols frequencies are... just cut the b**l s**t ... there are NO frequencies programmed in the memory... maybe the vfo is always at its lowest value of 140.000 or something like that when you first turn it on....

Technoguy58

No surprise

People interfering with legitimate public safety users as well as business users have been around for a long time. I have known guys that think it is funny to go to the drive thru at xxxxxx and talk to the people in the windows on their 50 watt mobile. What is the purpose other than just to be malicious. The local S.O. in my parish finally got tired of folks that don't have a life from interfering with official comms so they switched over to a digital system that is much more difficult to mess with. I did not say that it can not be done, but you would need a little more thought, effort, and financial input to accomplish the end result. I've never understood why some people cannot stand to see some people try to live right, do right, or treat others right. We had a real problem with interference from a ham or two on all the 2 meter repeaters around here for awhile. It got bad enough that a lot of clubs and owners shut their repeaters down for awhile. And the offenders were hams ( go figure). Makes no sense at all. I think low price radios have their place. Nowadays, lots of people are having a real tough time making ends meet. Enjoy your hobby. Just don't be malicious. Businesses have a tough enough time making it today. They don't need you making life harder for them. The cops have a difficult time nowadays. Every body has a camera. They don't need you to make their life harder. If you feel like you need to observe them or film them, fine. Just don't be ignorant about it and interfere with official duties. This might be little off topic but relates somewhat to the issue of cheap radios. It is the user -- not the radio that is the problem -- if there is a problem.

fornax

i have bought 4 this is just a flat out lie . youre telling me the chinese people making these things over seas know or care what washington state patrols frequencies are... just cut the b**l s**t ... there are NO frequencies programmed in the memory... maybe the vfo is always at its lowest value of 140.000 or something like that when you first turn it on....

I can actually confirm that I recently bought a Baofeng UV-82, and it had 20 or so frequencies pre-programmed into the memories. They seemed to be mostly in the ham 2 meter and 440 bands, but I didn't look too closely; just wiped the radio and started over. They may not leave the factory with preset frequencies, but there are apparently circumstances under which they make it to consumers with presets. Maybe returns from folks who tried it out and just didn't like the performance, and the seller just repackaged it?

C

CharlesWhitman

Charles, I do agree that the FCC has bigger fish to spy on than a harmless guy transmitting without a license and causing no interference to official public safety traffic. However, I believe the entire purpose for being required to pass a test in order to transmit on HAM radio bands is to eliminate the those guys who throw in F bombs in every other sentence and try jamming other stations, etc... However, I must say that the CB band has improved in my area and not as busy as it once was. But, my advice to you is find study material for the technician's license and try taking the test again. I hear the HAM test has been getting easier every year. Although I highly doubt the FCC will do a vigorous search to find those transmitting without a license, there are very few HAMS who choose to talk to unlicensed stations and repeater owners may even shut the repeater down, if they persist. I am surprised you can chat on a HAM repeater without a license and nobody tries to jam your signal or shut off the repeater. I do agree that some HAMS have a sense of entitlement and do not even treat new HAMS respectfully. I am NOT one of them. Good luck Charles and try for your HAM license again.

Cb is dead where I am. Use to be booming . Still hear skip but almost nothing local. Not even truckers

RAD909

This is a great topic, and something that has concerned me for some time. Many of your comments are spot-on. But I would like to point out a couple of other things.

First, it's the "wild west" these days in terms of controlling access to technology, and in this case radios in particular. People are buying products off the internet, and buying them from across the globe. This includes the programming software which can be downloaded off the internet from websites located in other countries (many manufacturer's software is the same version globally). The internet, and global trade, have forever changed access to products.

Second, people buying radios have little understanding of FCC regulations. Although some interference with emergency frequencies may be intentional, my guess is much is accidentally caused by people who think "cell phones" when using a two-way radio. I talk to many people each day asking advice about radios, most have no clue about them.

The FCC isn't going to stop people from purchasing radios from around the globe. And trying to "catch" individuals who are offenders is like putting your figure in a leaking dike. They also cannot mandate standards for radio technology in other countries. The FCC needs to come up with a better form of control over the USA emergency frequencies. That's just the world we live in now.

C

CharlesWhitman

I can actually confirm that I recently bought a Baofeng UV-82, and it had 20 or so frequencies pre-programmed into the memories. They seemed to be mostly in the ham 2 meter and 440 bands, but I didn't look too closely; just wiped the radio and started over. They may not leave the factory with preset frequencies, but there are apparently circumstances under which they make it to consumers with presets. Maybe returns from folks who tried it out and just didn't like the performance, and the seller just repackaged it?

I got mine a year ago and nothing was programmed in

C

CharlesWhitman

I think his comments were pretty clear.

You openly admit to operating without a license.:evil: :roll: and then call Amateurs Jerks (time for you to find a mirror)

But I don't bother anyone

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
People interfering with legitimate public safety users as well as business users have been around for a long time.

Necessity is the mother of all invention. This is why Motorola Solutions has no problem selling encryption (especially low cost DSP based ADP) and features like RAS on TRBO.

Keeps the turdlets with their Baofengs and pirates off other peoples' networks that they paid for.

Too bad it keeps the rest of us from passively monitoring, but that's how life is. Only takes on log to ruin the punch bowl.

APX.jpg

mikepdx

Necessity is the mother of all invention. This is why Motorola Solutions has no problem selling encryption (especially low cost DSP based ADP) and features like RAS on TRBO.

Keeps the turdlets with their Baofengs and pirates off other peoples' networks that they paid for.

Too bad it keeps the rest of us from passively monitoring, but that's how life is. Only takes on log to ruin the punch bowl.

View attachment 50638

Why is encryption viewed as a cure for intentional interference?
Malicious interference doesn't necessarily have to include audible voice.
Sure, the subscribers don't hear the perpetrator anymore.
But he didn't go away. Out of sight, out of mind, so-to-speak.

Obviously, a well placed analog carrier from a $30 Baofeng
could wreak havoc to anyone's network, analog, digital, trunked, data -
encrypted or not.

Last edited:

Titan520

Why is encryption viewed as a cure to intentional interference?

A well aimed analog carrier from a $30 Baofeng could
wreak havoc to anyone's network, analog, digital, trunked, data...

I ran a few tests on one of my cars car just for ****s and giggles, if you set the radio to the right LPD frequency, you can disable the remote locking with a carrier. Hiding and hodling the ptt will interfere with the remote and the car will remain unlocked even when the button is pressed. I wonder how long it takes until car thieves realize this.... Everything can be abused.

Voyager

The FCC isn't going to stop people from purchasing radios from around the globe. And trying to "catch" individuals who are offenders is like putting your figure in a leaking dike. They also cannot mandate standards for radio technology in other countries. The FCC needs to come up with a better form of control over the USA emergency frequencies. That's just the world we live in now.

Simple solution that's been around since the 90s (maybe earlier). Fight technology with technology and set up automated receiver stations that can receive, fingerprint, log, and DF any transmitter. You are now approaching the point that you can even record the entire spectrum for review in case there is a problem. This isn't rocket science.

KK6RWY

Premium Subscriber
Just a suggestion: when a poster writes provocative things under the moniker of a notorious mass murderer, maybe, juuuuust maybe, he’s a troll.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Why is encryption viewed as a cure for intentional interference?

It's not but it sure keeps people OFF of your network, as does RAS/Authentication. No valid key, CKR, KID=no access for you!

Yes, but most individuals like the Baofeng jammers go away when they can't relish in the fruits of their efforts.

Obviously, a well placed analog carrier from a $30 Baofeng
could wreak havoc to anyone's network, analog, digital, trunked, data -
encrypted or not.

Wouldn't even need to waste a good Baofeng. A great RF terror device can be made out of the guts of an old turret type TV tuner. Will run for weeks on a 6v gel cell 24/7/365.

But I'll leave it at that.

C

CharlesWhitman

Not anymore, the Ignore feature works well, in addition to the FCC notify button :cool:

Ya notify the FCC as they are the boogie men that come out and remove your enemies lol . Jesus you are a sad little man

Status
Not open for further replies.