Illinois State Police District 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Are you doing it by hand or do you have software? I use Proscan & Freescan and could whip something up for you if needed.

officer58

Premium Subscriber
I am using Freescan, still learning , but I can use Freescan well, unless there is a setting I need to check. But would be great if you could.
thank you

lu81fitter

Like I said, I haven't used FREESCAN in probably 5 years. You may want to check out my programming. I thought it looked OK, but who knows. How far away are you from the tower in DuQuoin?

officer58

Premium Subscriber
I am about 25 miles from the tower. I don't think the quick key or group key matters, because I don't have any other channels programmed with quick keys.

YoShep69

Premium Subscriber
1620402277637.png
Go into Trunk System Setup, change type to P25 Standard (Digital XT)
However that needs to be done on the computer. That option is not available on the scanner.

Plus I think 25 miles is pushing it.

chill1971

Premium Subscriber
District 13 is can be heard on at least a dozen sites in and near the district. If you are 25 miles from there must be a closer site.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
District 13 is can be heard on at least a dozen sites in and near the district. If you are 25 miles from there must be a closer site.

Very true, sometimes a District 13 car will affiliate with the DuPage County or Cook County Simulcast site and I hear them up in the Chicago area. I've logged quite a few District 13 Radio ID's because of this. It's not about the antenna as much it's about the site you choose to listen to them on and your proximity to the site.

VASCAR2

Here is a link with a map of all Starcom 21 sites. Most of the sites away from the state line borders have approximately 25 mile range. The actual range of the particular site is affected by terrain and foliage. During peak summer months with all the crops and trees reduces range on Starcom just like cell phones.

The sites near the borders use directional antennas to limit Starcom signal from propagating into neighbor states. The directional antennas cover approximately 120 degrees pointed into Illinois. The site like at DuQuion Post uses omni directional antenna’s and has approximately 25 mile coverage. The mobile and portable SC 21 radios communicate/vote on one site at a time. As the mobile/portable moves out of range of one site the mobile/portable affiliates with a site that has a stronger signal. As the mobile moves through the coverage area the mobile radio moves from site to site depending on it’s physical location.
A mobile/portable trunked radio might not affiliate with the closest site geographically. Many times a mobile won’t switch sites until the signal strength degrades to where the radio searches for a site with a stronger signal. During times with skip I’ve seen mobiles affiliate with sites 50+ miles from the mobile. This is infrequent as skip rarely affects the 700-800 MHz band compared to VHF Hi-Lo bands.
I’ve used the SC21 system and familiar with geography of District 13. I might be able to answer questions about trunking radios or the Starcom 21 system if you want to send me a private message.

I can probably help if you have questions regarding programming your scanner.

Starcom Site Map.

Last edited:

ltginrage

I am about 25 miles from the tower. I don't think the quick key or group key matters, because I don't have any other channels programmed with quick keys.
Here is a link with a map of all Starcom 21 sites. Most of the sites away from the state line borders have approximately 25 mile range. The actual range of the particular site is affected by terrain and foliage. During peak summer months with all the crops and trees reduces range on Starcom just like cell phones.

This map has more accurate locations of towers

officer58

Premium Subscriber
I'm happy to report, that I've heard the State Police tonight. After doing some looking at the settings , I discovered it was locked out for one. Also I change the setting to one- freq. trunk. So all is good. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.