Illinois State Rep Dan Brady introduces anti-rebroadcast legislation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERICMYERS

as I sit here reading RR, away from the scanning shack, the cops arrive in front of the house going door to door looking for 3 male blacks who committed a robbery an hour ago, down the block. Alas, there is no feed for the local PD for me to listen to while I surf. I'd set one up, but it's probably going to be illegal to do so shortly. Coulda kept my eyes open for these three idiots had I heard the call an hour ago.
True story, 5 minutes old.

IL legislators - and I suppose/hope you're reading this....this is proof positive of 'unintended consequences'. The criminals don't follow your laws, but law abiding citizens ability to protect themselves and their neighbors will be infringed.

edit...ok, so i was still catching up on the forum. IL legislators, I appreciate the amendment. The point is still valid, and as you've not voted, please continue to consider the reality and positive value of a transparent public safety/government communication system.

Last edited:

ERICMYERS

Based on what I see the streaming restriction appears to have been stricken from the bill today. Amendment 1 was adopted by a voice vote. House floor amendment 1 "Deletes new provisions concerning the unauthorized rebroadcast via radio or internet of intercepted public safety radio communications."

On the status page for HB5194 at Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB5194 the engrossed full text now reads:

An act concerning State government. Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois, represented in the General Assembly:
Section 5. The State Police Radio Act is amended by adding Section 12 as follows:
(20 ILCS 2615/12 new)
Use of public safety radio system by unauthorized radios.
a) Radio access to the public safety radio system within the State may only be accomplished upon receipt of written authorization granted by the appropriately licensed authority. No person shall gain access to, or the ability to transmit on, a public safety radio system (i) by changing, or causing to be changed, the hardware, firmware, or software of a radio unit causing it to duplicate the identity of a radio unit operating on the system with proper authority or (ii) by cloning.
(b) Unauthorized access to the State's radio system in violation of this Section is a Class A misdemeanor. Section 99. Effective date. This Act takes effect upon becoming law.

So it would appear that this law will now only target unauthorized persons and radios cloned to transmit on the Starcom system and not affect streaming. As someone who this bill would have affected I would like to thank everyone here at Radio Reference who took the time to voice their concerns for our rights. Bravo!

Dave
Radioman911.com
Chicagoland Fire and Emergency Radio Streaming

good eyes, Dave, and thanks for updating the forum. I second the "Bravo"

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
Then prove he was PUSHED!!!!!!!![/

The spelling is Humpty Dumpty according to Humpty Dumpty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,
QUOTE]

I'm Sorry, the time I have to spend reading comic books has diminished since I graduated the sixth grade. I am glad some of us still has the time to indulge in such important work.

SQUAD10, on behalf of myself, and others who feel as though we owe you an enormous debt, would like to take this opportunity to thank you for you invaluable contributation to this discussions grammer and further would ask if you would honor me, no us, with proof reading prior to post..... For it is so geramin to the matter at hand, wouldnt you agree?

Lastly I thank you,
RR contributors thank you,
Humpdy himself thanks you (assumed)
My sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Jack Meoff thanks you.

The world got a little brighter today. Squad 10, we owe it all to you.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Never assume, you know what they say about "assume". All the kings horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty together again so they made a really big omelet and the king thought it was really cool.

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
The "dimple heads" in the ILL congress have caved in , the scanner people have finally "WON" , "this time".....Happy Listening on the ILL Starcom, great hardworking "cops"!!....

jobes

Great news! I was at the capital yesterday for iGold fighter for our other rights. Its sure is nice to see the "People" win!!

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what committee or legislator recommended the change, and which ones voted for/against it? I'd like to send them a thank you note. Letting them know when they've done something right is just as important as voicing dislike when it comes to politicians-it lets them know people are paying attention.

kaileysdaddy

Illinois scanner

This an email to Dan Brady and his response to this.
RE: HB 5194 Dan Brady to you - 3 hrs agoMore Details From: Dan Brady <dan@rep-danbrady.com>Hide Add to: To Do, Calendar Cc:Bcc:Date:Thu, Mar 11, 2010 12:59 pm
I agree with you fully! Thats why HB 5194 does not effect scanners and those who listen to them such as you and I. Thank you for your input! Dan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:15 AM
To: dan@rep-danbrady.com
Subject: HB 5194

I have been a scanner listener for over 25 years this law is a bunch of crap. I like to know what is going on around me. Over the years listening to the scanner has even helped with some crimes being solved. The EMA we site has taken down our live scanner even before this is voted on. There are more pressing issues than this. I will continue to listen to a scanner as it should be MY RIGHT.
So my understand is the scanner should be able to run on radioreference.com.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Now that I've had a chance to review the amendments, it appears that the amendment striking Section 11 was introduced by Dan Brady himself. I guess we did make an impact.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Thread Closed

Folks, I am closing this thread since the issue appears to be dead at this point. I would normally not close a thread for that reason; however, there are some folks participating in this thread that just can't seem to keep a thread on topic without resorting to irrelevant and ridiculous flights of fancy.

I am not going name names nor am I going to use the infraction system to issue warnings; however, I would point out that there are both relatively new members and some "old timers" that belong to the group that have cause this thread's closure.

Understand this, the next time a serious issue in the Community Announcements and News forum gets taken for a fun filled ride through stupidity, I am not going to issue warnings, just infractions. So, if you participated at all in this thread, I suggest you review your postings with an eye to examining if your post was really necessary and consider that you might be one of those to whom I am referring. Please don't bother to PM me with questions if you were in mind when I closed the thread; I will not respond to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.