Illinois State Rep Dan Brady introduces anti-rebroadcast legislation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILMRadioMan

They have already tried complete scanner bans and those have been shot down numerous times.

And yes, how intuitive.

It is the politicians with the info, that have their heads in the sand....not the citizens that have almost none of the info, playing armchair quarterback.

And you will be one of the few here donating to his competitor...as he is a republican...and I cant imagine most of the people that have commented in this thread donating to a democrat. ;)

Anyways...this fearmongering about the unlikely slippery slope, happens at so many bills, and yet it rarely happens.

That is all.

This bill will likely pass, and nothing will come of it, other than another law to charge people with breaking, when they are caught using it for a crime.

K9JLR

This bill will likely pass, and nothing will come of it, other than another law to charge people with breaking, when they are caught using it for a crime.

Whether or not all of this would withstand the legal turbidity (e.g. federal vs. state laws, RR Internet provided feeds and the law, etc.) that surrounds it if someone pleads not guilty and takes it to trial is a separate topic, but I suspect they would attempt to arraign those who also violate that part of this potential law, even though it doesn't specifically further criminal activity per se.

After all, the previously cited legal verbiage specifically takes aim at Internet rebroadcasts, regardless of the intent on the part of the person doing the rebroadcasting.

Last edited:

Squad10

Being a public corporation, do you think the Bill protects Ameren Corporation communications too??

Below from: StarCom21 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ameren, a large utility company that operates in much of Illinois, is now also using StarCom21. Ameren had operated several networked trunked systems for its operations, these frequencies have largely been turned over to StarCom21 for general subscriber use. Since the 700 MHz. band is restricted to Public Safety users, Ameren can only use the 800 MHz. channels, so some sites that previously only had 700 MHz. channels have had 800 MHz. channels added to allow Ameren access. This has allowed StarCom21 access to additional radio channels and tower sites.

K9JLR

Being a public corporation, do you think the Bill protects Ameren Corporation communications too??

No, I personally do not, because the full text of the bill specifically uses the phrase "PUBLIC SAFETY voice or data communications" when referencing the rebroadcast of transmissions.

You can read the full text of the bill and follow its current progress in the General Assembly at this link:
Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB5194

Last edited:

Squad10

The full text of the bill specifically uses the phrase "PUBLIC SAFETY voice or data communications" when referencing the rebroadcast of transmissions.

You can read the full text of the bill and follow its current progress in the General Assembly at this link:
Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB5194

I've read the full text of the Bill.

Q. Being a public corporation, do you think the Bill protects Ameren Corporation communications too??

Possible response(s), yes, or no, or your opinion.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
And you will be one of the few here donating to his competitor...as he is a republican...and I cant imagine most of the people that have commented in this thread donating to a democrat. ;)

So a Republican wouldn't challenge him in a primary?

The press releases have gone from the ISP, to the Starcom 21 system, to one of the last ones which gave the opinion that it would cover all public safety broadcasts in the state of Illinois.....at the rate they are expanding the interpretation, it will soon read "rebroadcast of any public safety communication that somehow touches the state of Illinois, and since I rent my Shoutcast servers from a company that has them physically located in Chicago, I see it as a potential threat. I've got a great rental rate, and would have to pay at least 30% more with any other company.

I have read the bill, and as written, still seems like the ISP is trying to hide something. Rep. Brady, in his response letter to me (received about an hour ago) admitted that his knowledge of radio systems is "lacking" in comparison to mine, and that he relies on "educated advisors (sic)" in reference to the more technical aspects of the limitations of this bill.

K9JLR

I have read the bill, and as written, still seems like the ISP is trying to hide something. Rep. Brady, in his response letter to me (received about an hour ago) admitted that his knowledge of radio systems is "lacking" in comparison to mine, and that he relies on "educated advisors (sic)" in reference to the more technical aspects of the limitations of this bill.

I pointed out the same thing earlier, but I wouldn't be too concerned about press releases, official or unofficial synopses, or other vague interpretations, either by the sponsor or other sources.

In my opinion what really matters is the language contained within any proposed bill, including its amendments, engrossments, revisions, etc., because that's ultimately what will become law. You can follow any such changes at the link that I posted above.

Squad10

I have read the bill, and as written, still seems like the ISP is trying to hide something..

But what could it be?

Rep. Brady, in his response letter to me (received about an hour ago) admitted that his knowledge of radio systems is "lacking" in comparison to mine, and that he relies on "educated advisors (sic)" in reference to the more technical aspects of the limitations of this bill.

Who are Rep. Brady's "educated advisors"?

usswood

I am starting to wonder if ENC is costing Illinois to much money and they want to eventually drop it on most talk groups?? Kinda makes me wonder if there isn't some sort of underlying money issue here.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
First of all, you are from new england...so what exactly do you know of them, other than what the media twists? Have you done any research on Brady? Did you notice that he did this at the behest of the Highway Patrol.

Where is your indignation for them?

Also, did you read the complete sentence about who it pertains to? He also listed enemies of the state, which is anyone that wants to use it to commit a crime.

If you dont believe this stuff happens, you really need to go back and do some research. There are reasons why these laws are around in the first place. Sure its not an everyday occurence, but people DO use scanners for criminal activity.

What difference does it make where someone is from? I see this as the finger that pushes over the first Domino. To be honest I have not done any research on Brady. Quite frankly i am not going to. The fact he is doing this puts him on my "idiot list".

Yes it does say enemies of the state. If someone is going to commit a crime in which they need the help of monitoring police broadcasts, THEN THEY ARE NOT GOING TO GIVE A FLYING [insert word here] ABOUT A SCANNER LAW! More then likely these people are committing felonies. Do you honestly think they are worried about a misdemeanor?
Thats like saying someone who goes in and holds up a bank and shoots someone is worried about carring a gun illegally. *cough* Chicago *cough*.

You are right though. People do use scanners to commit crimes. Those people need to be locked away. But for the love of god would you politicians get your head out of the sand (and other places), and stop punsihing the law abiding citizes?

N

N_Jay

Maybe it is a simple as some high up Muckity-muck discovered (or was told) that their audio was on the Internet, and he felt that it constituted a risk (not saying it was deeply thought out) and that was expressed to other high-up Muckity-Mucks (but not quite as high), so they put in place what they thought (again, not much thought) a request for a bill to fix the problem.

No ulterior motive, no cost of encryption woes, no want to get more revenue from scanner sales, no want to sell a feed for profit. Just the simplest and most direct explanation.

"No, way, That is just Crazy Talk!"

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Maybe it is a simple as some high up Muckity-muck discovered (or was told) that their audio was on the Internet, and he felt that it constituted a risk (not saying it was deeply thought out) and that was expressed to other high-up Muckity-Mucks (but not quite as high), so they put in place what they thought (again, not much thought) a request for a bill to fix the problem.

No ulterior motive, no cost of encryption woes, no want to get more revenue from scanner sales, no want to sell a feed for profit. Just the simplest and most direct explanation.

"No, way, That is just Crazy Talk!"

I actually agree with you on that one N_Jay. It likely just boils down to politicians not thinking before doing something, and having their head up certain places.
Not that that has ever happened before, oh no! :eek:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
But what could it be

Who are Rep. Brady's "educated advisors"?

I don't know....it's more than likely NJay's theory above, driven by the fear and realization that the move to a digital trunked system didn't provide the invisibility that they were told it did....when you don't think anyone is listening, and you suddenly find out that everyone can listen, it can cause knee-jerk reactions.

As far as who they are? I have no idea. My guess would be Motorola, who has a vested interest in the system, but that's my view and my view only. That's just the exact way that it was worded.

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
If you dont believe this stuff happens, you really need to go back and do some research. There are reasons why these laws are around in the first place. Sure its not an everyday occurence, but people DO use scanners for criminal activity.

And peole use cars for criminal activity, should we ban them also? People use medicine for criminal activity should we ban it also? People us computers for criminal activity, should we ban them also? People use banks in the commission of a crime. Should we ban them also?

People use their brain in a commission of a crime; Much of the thinking I am hearing is and has been CRIMINAL. Comrade, give up your brain before we confiscate it in the name of, and for the betterment of, the state!!!!

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I never looked far enough into his current campaign....I didn't realize that he was a candidate for governor. I just figured he'd be running for reelection to his Rep. seat when I spoke of contributing to his competitor.

Currently, the ONLY Democrat I support in America is Tom Menino, but that may have to change. Democrat or Republican, it doesn't mean you have good judgment. That has to be proven by your actions. The most telling quote I see in the dog article is:

“A constituent asked me to do it, and I have an obligation to represent my constituents,” Brady said.

I guess that means that if a constituent asked him to file legislation that would contradict the current bill regarding rebroadcasting, he would do it......oh, wait, that constituent would probably have to have better contribution power than Motorola and their endorsement would probably have to carry more weight than whatever association the ISP has (here in Mass., it's called SPAM...State Police Association of Massachusets)

Squad10

Dan Brady is a state representative, HB5194 sponsor.

Bill Brady is a state senator, Republican nomination for governor.

Both are members of the Illinois General Assembly.

jobes

and they are night and day...thank god:)

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber

Well Ill be darned theres 2 of them, oh well lets still smear em both, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.