• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Im a little concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQAJ741

I took my radio to be installed by a tech at best buy. He said everything was working, and I got home and checked the battery for connections and there was nothing connected to the battery. The radio wont power up when the car is off, which is ok..but how else can someone power a radio if its not through the battery or 12V outlet? Should I be concerned that this connection could cause my any problems? I dont want to use the radio if my car is gonna catch fire or something.. :/

WQAJ741

It is a RELM mobile radio, I believe its out put is 40 watts. operates 450 to 470mhz....I am paranoid to even start my car again with fear that somethings gonna blow

jackj

I installed commercial two-way radios for years and I very seldom hooked to the battery directly. These radios were current hogs, pulling as much as 50 or 60 amps on Tx. There is too much chance of corrosion causing a bad connection when you hook directly to it. Most of the time, if you follow the heavy lead from the battery, it will hook up to a post either in a power distribution box or fuse box under the hood. That point is the best place to tap for power. Go look again or follow the power leads from the radio to see where they go.

mulveyr

I took my radio to be installed by a tech at best buy. He said everything was working, and I got home and checked the battery for connections and there was nothing connected to the battery. The radio wont power up when the car is off, which is ok..but how else can someone power a radio if its not through the battery or 12V outlet? Should I be concerned that this connection could cause my any problems? I dont want to use the radio if my car is gonna catch fire or something.. :/

It should be relatively easy to look and see if the radio is connected to the fusebox.

If it is - for a 40 watt mobile, that's the crappiest possible way to do it. Direct connection to the battery ( properly fused, of course ) will eliminate a whole host of potential issues like ground loops, induced noise, etc.

mulveyr

I installed commercial two-way radios for years and I very seldom hooked to the battery directly. These radios were current hogs, pulling as much as 50 or 60 amps on Tx. There is too much chance of corrosion causing a bad connection when you hook directly to it. Most of the time, if you follow the heavy lead from the battery, it will hook up to a post either in a power distribution box or fuse box under the hood. That point is the best place to tap for power. Go look again or follow the power leads from the radio to see where they go.

Any bets as to whether it turns out to be bare wires soldered to an empty fuse socket? ;-) Oh, the terrible installations I've seen...

WQAJ741

Any bets as to whether it turns out to be bare wires soldered to an empty fuse socket? ;-) Oh, the terrible installations I've seen...

I think so....what kind of problems is this going to bring?

Attachments

• 2012-02-21 13.46.14.jpg
    2012-02-21 13.46.14.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 877

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
Why would you take a 2-way radio to best buy for installation? They know nothing about these things. They don't even sell them. I have to say that this is your biggest mistake. If you can't install it yourself take it to a local 2-way radio shop, and I mean a Motorola or commercial radio place, not a CB shop. Sorry for sounding stern, but no tech at best buy will ever touch any of my radio gear.

WQAJ741

Why would you take a 2-way radio to best buy for installation? They know nothing about these things. They don't even sell them. I have to say that this is your biggest mistake. If you can't install it yourself take it to a local 2-way radio shop, and I mean a Motorola or commercial radio place, not a CB shop. Sorry for sounding stern, but no tech at best buy will ever touch any of my radio gear.

True, an old friend of mine did it to my other car many years ago, and had it wired to the battery. I was under the impression that this guy was going to do the same thing....I thought about taking it to my local motorola dealer but I didn't have a lot of money to spend on the installs and that's why I figured this was the next best thing..I don't know how to do it, so I thought that someone who works on car installations all day might have a better understanding.

Should I just try to undo it on my own then and leave it until I can get it done professionally?

mulveyr

I think so....what kind of problems is this going to bring?

I'm presuming that the red/black cables are from the radio.

Are the wires from the insulated crimp connectors seriously soldered into an empty fuse socket? Because if they are, not only do you have a transmitter that isn't fused, it looks like they've used a far smaller gauge of wire than the one on the radio for the power run. And that's never a good idea.

WQAJ741

the red and black wire are in fact part of the power cable and they have been soldered in. Because of that should I just cut the wires and leave it? My concern is that should I keep it as it is and use it, that I will get my self into a situation that will be very costly. That's why I am almost ready to try to reverse what he did, to the best of my ability and just wait for a pro installation.

mulveyr

the red and black wire are in fact part of the power cable and they have been soldered in. Because of that should I just cut the wires and leave it? My concern is that should I keep it as it is and use it, that I will get my self into a situation that will be very costly. That's why I am almost ready to try to reverse what he did, to the best of my ability and just wait for a pro installation.

No, don't just cut them. You need to continue tracing the power and see where it's ultimately connected, and then report back on where they terminate.

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
Can you get help from someone at the local Ham Radio club? They should be able to help you and not charge you anything.

WQAJ741

No, don't just cut them. You need to continue tracing the power and see where it's ultimately connected, and then report back on where they terminate.

Followed the entire thing and here is what I got....

Attachments

• 2012-02-21 14.32.29.jpg
    2012-02-21 14.32.29.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 824

WQAJ741

Can you get help from someone at the local Ham Radio club? They should be able to help you and not charge you anything.

I am going to try to contact the guys I used to volunteer with and see what they might say about it. Well I learned from my mistakes....I did find a place in Irvine, which is about 20 minutes away, and all though they charge 100 I might be doing that in the next couple of weeks.

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
From the pics I can tell you that I wouldn't transmit that radio because the much smaller wires probably will heat up and possibly cause a fire. A 40 watt transmitter on FM will pull about 10 amps on transmit. I would at least get my money back from best buy. How could they accept a job not knowing what the requirements are of the equipment that they are installing?

WQAJ741

I've unhooked the radio from the power supply and will try talking to best buy to get my money back. Sould I do anything regarding the short length of wire now, or just leave it?

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
I would just tape off the ends of the wires that are left and make sure that there is NO exposed wire to cause a short anywhere. Darn shame you aren't in Virginia, I would be happy to fix it up right for you. Rule of thumb is that you should ALWAYS use the same gauge or thicker wire than the wire than came with the radio. From your pics alone the installer broke this cardinal rule. He used a much thinner wire than what came with the radio, BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.