I'm a truck driver new to scanning with the bct15

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadewade

Is there a database or set of prefigured files that include location,radius,trucker type channels online or for purchase somewhere that would allow several regions around the country to be programmed (mostly along interstate highways?)?

Thanks (cuz I don't know what I'm doing yet,

Wade

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Welcome Wade...

The BCT15 has the 'Beartracker' system that has various state police, DOT and some other services for various states pre-programmed. Trouble is that many states are now moving to a digital platform that the 15 cannot handle. It's still a fine scanner, just kinda hobbled due to the changes in technology.

In any case, there's a few things you can read to get you up to speed. Put the manual Uniden supplies away in the box - there's one that's far better, and has sections specifically targeted to the Beartracker. The 'Easier to Read' manual for the BCT15 can be found at the bottom of (anything in blue is a link):

Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

and just like any hobby, there's a ton of terminology that might seem Greek to you. We have an online glossary here;

Category:RR Glossary - The RadioReference Wiki

Now most folks will usually disable the Beartracker system and build their own files for their particular needs. You didn't say what state(s) your route encompasses, so it's a little hard to project as to what you will actually need. However, it's highly suggested you take the time to learn about systems, sites and groups - this is the structure this radio (and its cousins) uses for memory management. Both the FAQ and the Easier to Read manual will help.

Once you have the light bulb turn on (it takes awhile sometimes - don't feel bad, it happens to all of us at one point or another), it's time to think about constructing a profile for your trip that you can customize. You will first need a USB-serial converter so that you can connect your laptop (assuming you have one, or can get one) to the scanner. This article talks about this - and how to use Windoze to help diagnose issues (this can be a bit perplexing...)

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

and as for (free) software, you can download FreeScan from here...

Downloads - Sixspot Software

To help you along, our wiki also houses the FreeScan user guide here...

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

You have a number of ways to go to get files to get you started. We have state-by-state forums where you can ask - be sure to say what scanner and software you are using; this is very important, as not all formats are interchangeable. Be specifc as to what area(s) you are interested in. You can download data from our database, once you get a subscription;

Premium Subscription Information Page

or you can use FreeScan's EZ Grab function to copy/paste data. That function is fully described in the user manual.

Once you get comfortable you can learn about location based scanning; this is something unique to Uniden's scanners, where you can use a GPS to activate/disable systems without having to futz (yes, that's a technical term <chuckle>) around with the keypad. But that's really jumping ahead here...

That oughta give you something to read during your layovers (my younger brother was a trucker for many years until his knees starting giving out from all the vibration...)

best regards..Mike

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean by "trucker type channels"?

Most truckers use simple CB radios to talk (with some going above or below the CB band). As for business communications, most just use regular cell phones or nextels.

Some "local" trucking companies may have 2-way business radios. If that is what you're looking for then your best bet may be to set the scanner up with several custom search ranges that are typically used for business comms. If you have some specific companies that you want to have programmed in (with alpha tags) then the FCC license search feature on this website is a good resource.

:)

wadewade

Trucker kind of channels

Currently, I pull triple trailer semi-s up and down the highways in the NW, and may wind up back in over-the-road jobs soon.
By trucker channels... hmmm... DOT operations and road crews and the like are very important, changes in weather conditions can change whether I am forced to drop one trailer somewhere and can let me know where tire chains are required in the winter. Public safety is always good to have, I think, as well. I'm not one to speed, but I do like to know what is going on around me. Long ago, with my bct7, I had about a 3 minute warning of a car driving down the wrong side of the freeway. I found that valuable.

To be honest, I don't use the CB much anymore. Many people just use it as a way to stir a hornet's nest to stay awake. I don't much like the language used either (even though that isn't supposed to happen).

I already have the bct15 (not the x), otherwise I would think of an hp-1 with the gps adapter. It would look cool next to the gps map and the xm radio. Almost like a glass cockpit airplane. But you have what you have.

Does that answer the question?

Wade

tcat7

Digital or Analog along the upper part of Oregon and Idaho

This may have been asked before but I am looking to buy a handheld scanner for the winter to be aware of what is ahead this season. I hear that some of my area is digital but some are analog and yet I'm not sure how to read the list of agency feq.in my run.
I really don't need digital if I can get buy without it. The areas I drive are all rural areas no major block except passing Boise.

Thanks

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
This may have been asked before but I am looking to buy a handheld scanner for the winter to be aware of what is ahead this season. I hear that some of my area is digital but some are analog and yet I'm not sure how to read the list of agency feq.in my run.
I really don't need digital if I can get buy without it. The areas I drive are all rural areas no major block except passing Boise.

Thanks

First,what state do you live in?

rwier

............. I would think of an hp-1 with the gps adapter............................
Wade

Just an old retired guy here who only travels about 3k miles a year in three states. I wouldn't leave the city limits of Phoenix without my HP-1/GPS combo, changes the whole nature of the beast, lol.

tcat7

I live in Idaho and work in Idaho, Oregon, and in the future some of Utah and Nevada

scannerboy01

What you could do, is get a Uniden BCT15X and have it preprogrammed, but that would be quite costly and since you are a trucker, you don't stay in just one county.Uniden Bearcat BCT15X Police Scanner Radio You also could get the Uniden Home Patrol which would be easy to use since it has the entire Radio Reference Database and you have to only enter your zip code. The bad thing is that you can't program frequencies that aren't in the Radio Reference Database.Uniden HomePatrol Police Scanner Radio

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
You also could get the Uniden Home Patrol which would be easy to use since it has the entire Radio Reference Database and you have to only enter your zip code. The bad thing is that you can't program frequencies that aren't in the Radio Reference Database.
Not true. HP Sentinel V2.0 allows you to create a favorites list with new departments and add their frequencies manually on the PC and send them to the HP-1. Additionally, the HP-1 Extreme Upgrade allows doing it from the scanner itself.

Of course neither of these options makes it easy to do... I still agree though that the HP-1 with a compatible GPS puck will be the ultimate solution for an over the road truck driver. He'll need an external amplified speaker, no doubt, but the scanner itself works perfectly for long distance mobile use with a minimum of user interaction.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I live in Idaho and work in Idaho, Oregon, and in the future some of Utah and Nevada

Truthfully I would get a digital scanner.Radioshack,GRE, and Uniden have digital handheld scanners.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Because some of the areas he might go to use (or will migrate to) digital trunking and the BCT15 won't work with that

best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.