I'm Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Welcome back Jon!! I hope nobody was very hard on ya.

There's been a lot of exciting things going on in the scanner world while you were away. Mostly all good though.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Welcome back. Hope things were not too terrible for you. So now will you be working on designing a suppressor for the SDS 200 hum, of course? :)
It looks like someone else beat me to that.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In all seriousness, since you offer modification services, you might want to use your knowledge and experience to offer to do the grounding mods for people who don't feel confident in doing it themselves if Uniden doesn't offer this solution.
Once I get set up to do modding again, I'll do it if there's a market for it (which there seems to be).

wbswetnam

Once I get set up to do modding again, I'll do it if there's a market for it (which there seems to be).

Oh, yeah! Once you're back in business, I plan to buy an SDS100 and and send it to you for internal GPS mod. You have a standing order already!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you can figure out how to separate the SDS200's head unit to make it a remote head, you will make a fortune here.
I wouldn't remove the existing head, I would use Wi-Fi or a wired ethernet or USB connection between the remote device and the scanner, and use a combination of a touchscreen and physical knobs and buttons on the remote device to control the scanner and display what is being scanned. The remote unit would be somewhat like ProScan in that it would support being connected to multiple scanner models, but a dedicated device with physical knobs and buttons for functions common to all scanner models, and touchscreen control for model-specific stuff.

As a bonus, I would probably put a GPS receiver in the remote unit, so it can feed location data to unmodded scanners that support GPS input, and power models that are powered by USB jacks. All you would need is to plug the remote into a 5V or 12V power source, and then connect the remote and scanner with a single (model-specific) cable that would do power, GPS data, and control data.

Status
Not open for further replies.