im confused can someone help me pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

emca89

hi there
i just bought a scanner because the tread for my area was closed down
i got hooked on listening to calls
i live in hamilton ontario area and am looking to listen to fire ambulance and police
i imputed the frequencys into my scanner rom rr frequency data base
and i get nothing
am i doing something wrong
the scanner i just aquired is uniden bc355c bearcat
can someone help me

captclint

Mentor
I am not from your area, so I can only observe the comments here: Hamilton County which indicate most of the agencies use various trunking systems. You would need to input trunking systems for Hamilton Trunking System, , but Bell Fleetnet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 Trunking Systems is mostly digital which your scanner does not receive

Hamilton Police Service (Intelligence) are unmonitorable encrypted trunked system and Hamilton (Project 25) Trunking System, Hamilton, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies is digital. From the looks of things, you are going to need a digital scanner for most of the action, but you should go to the Ontario - The RadioReference.com Forums and ask about what you can hear and if your really need digital.

Last edited:

emca89

hi thank you clint for your reply

when i called the store to buy the scanner i explained that i what i wanted to listen too was the fire ,police and ems dispatch calls i referred to them of the radio reference page of frequencies and they assured me that the scanner i bought would do
when i called to order the unit they were sold out so i ordered it from usa from scanner master
i informed them as well the frequencies i needed
868-25000 868-35000 868-45000 as well as 154-25000
i am not looking for the intelligence frequencies
i explained how i used to listen to it online and it would switch from all 3 of the frequencies i believe
i would be listening one minute it was police call then ambulance or fire call then back to police
my concern is is the scanner i bought able to do this or did i waist my money

jrholm

It looks like the scanner you bought was to your specificaitions regarding frequency range, what you failed to understand and therefore pass on to the vendor was the modulation (digital vs. am/fm)

rwier

Hi emca89,

I see you are up to post #2, no offense. I suggest a Premium Membership to RR. Then start fresh. Read posts as they come in and also search the Archives for old posts related to your interests. Do this for thirty days without asking questions.

Now you will be ready to ask "focused" questions related to a future purchase. You will receive excellent advice. There is no place like this place, lol.

Rob

captclint

Mentor
my concern is is the scanner i bought able to do this or did i waist my money
As pointed out, you got what you asked for, and I understand the disappointment that pointing to RR did not clue Scanmaster to ask if you needed digital. They are usually more informed about how to read all the RR pages. Perhaps you did not give them your province and/or exact RR page.

Now, you need to go to the Ontario forum to confirm that you are really going to need digital going forward. You can talk to scanmaster about the error and they may be willing to trade for a digital, with maybe a restocking fee. Scanmaster is more likely to work with you than others. Before you do that, ask what digital radios work best in your area on the forum, and they you can talk specifics with them. If that doesn't work out, you can always sell your bc355c on our Classified forum.

I should warn you that learning how to program trunking systems, analog or digital, is not easy. I think the easiest way to get going and learn at the same time is to become a paid subscriber to this site to get the automatic down loads, but this is also very reasonable($7.5 for 3 months). This can save you countless hours of programming and frustration. Depending on the scanner, you would need to get software to help you program and download. Uniden has a freeware program, while others costs in the $30-$40 range. Again, software helps you understand all the features of your radio, but there is still a learning curve to programing trunk systems. Here is some info about Trunking and Trunking_Programming_Questions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.