I'm confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I was under the impression that the backlight did not stay on constantly on the 536HP, yet it has been steadily on on mine for well over two hours. Not that I'm complaining; I'm happy it's staying on. Just confused as to why when I first got the radio it wasn't staying on all the time. Not sure what I set to what, but I hope I don't change it back.

RadioPatriots

This might seem obvious, and I'm not a 536 owner, but surely there would be a backlight setting in the menu?

buggiecar

W1COD
Premium Subscriber
Simple.....

I was under the impression that the backlight did not stay on constantly on the 536HP, yet it has been steadily on on mine for well over two hours. Not that I'm complaining; I'm happy it's staying on. Just confused as to why when I first got the radio it wasn't staying on all the time. Not sure what I set to what, but I hope I don't change it back.

Hey New Enthusiast...There is a huge learning curve with the 536...to dim your display or shut the light off all you need do is push the volume control in...that's it.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
This might seem obvious, and I'm not a 536 owner, but surely there would be a backlight setting in the menu?

There is, but unlike the 436, the 536 does not have an "infinite" setting.

Hey New Enthusiast...There is a huge learning curve with the 536...to dim your display or shut the light off all you need do is push the volume control in...that's it.

But I don't want to dim, or even turn the backlight off all together. I like the fact that it's staying on constantly. I just want to know what I did to get it like that. It wasn't doing it a couple of weeks ago.

:)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing the difference between the 536 and 436 is this. The 436 runs on batteries with the concern about about battery drain. So there are options on the duration of the backlight's illumination for the 436.

Since the 536 is either AC or vehicle battery, that concern isn't present. However, there are settings for the 536 backlight intensity (Off, Low, Middle, High). There are also settings where you can connect the scanner to a vehicle headlight circuit to change the backlight.

There has been some talk in other forums about the Alert Light (the one around the silver knob). It stays on for a few seconds and some folks have asked if this could be lengthened via firmware update.

May want to check in Sentinel using the profile editor>Display Options. . .

scanboyca

The backlight control on the BCD536HP has two parts. The backlight can be turned on or off permanently by pressing the the volume control knob. Each press of the knob changes the backlight intensity from OFF->LOW->MEDIUM->HIGH->OFF. If the backlight is set to off via the method described above then the backlight squelch and key press settings apply to turn the backlight on temporarily during open squelch and button presses. Those settings are adjustable in the Display Options:Set Backlight menu on the scanner.

scanboyca

I have my BCD536HP backlight set to only come on with open squelch. This is to help mitigate wear and tear on the backlight LEDs as noted by other 536 owners. I haveare a couple of comments/questions about using the Open Squelch setting for backlight control.

1. When the squelch opens, the display illuminates as expected. Problem is, the display always illuminates at full brightness level. I have tried all menu settings but it appears that open squelch only works with the brightest backlight level. Does anyone know if there is a way to set the brightness level used during Open Squelch?

2. When using Open Squelch for backlight control, the display illuminates only when receiving a signal. If you catch a tail end of a transmission, the backlight turns on for a brief instant then back off immediately. My BC125AT keeps the backlight on for the programmed "delay" period after squelch closes (I.E. the radio is scanning again) before turning off the backlight - a much more usable approach to backlight control. Is there any comparable setting in the BCD536HP?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.