I'm embarrassed but I need help with my BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

comoman

Premium Subscriber
I just got a new Uniden TrunkTracker IV and I can't figure out how to make it work. I thought I would start off by just setting it up as a conventional scanner but evidently I don't know how. Is there a simpler way that trying to decipher the instruction CD? This thing has my head spinning. I got the weather channel working but that's all.

I got the scanner as a surprise gift and I didn't want to disappoint the gift giver so I've been acting like I knew what I was doing. Yeah right!

captclint

Mentor
I just got a new Uniden TrunkTracker IV and I can't figure out how to make it work. I thought I would start off by just setting it up as a conventional scanner but evidently I don't know how. Is there a simpler way that trying to decipher the instruction CD?
Don't feel bad. EVERYONE has trouble with the current crop of scanners. This should get you started on conventional. Easier to Read BCD996XT Conventional Systems You can create just one conventional system, and one group under that system to enter all your conventional freq's. Once you get the hang of it, you can create several conventional systems for State, county, local, ets.

Last edited:

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
comoman,

Trying to program today's crop of scanners by hand is - while entirely possible - not a lot of fun unless you have a LOT of time on your hands. I certainly don't! Do you have/plan to get FreeSCAN? It's an EXCELLENT program and makes life a LOT easier.

comoman

Premium Subscriber
comoman,

Trying to program today's crop of scanners by hand is - while entirely possible - not a lot of fun unless you have a LOT of time on your hands. I certainly don't! Do you have/plan to get FreeSCAN? It's an EXCELLENT program and makes life a LOT easier.

I haven't any idea what Free Scan is. I've got more time on my hands than anything else. 21 years retired US Army. I came from the old analog world. I'll use all the help I can get.

LIScanner101

I haven't any idea what Free Scan is. I've got more time on my hands than anything else. 21 years retired US Army. I came from the old analog world. I'll use all the help I can get.

Thank you for your service sir!

Please read here:

FreeSCAN

What state/county do you live in? Maybe I can throw something together for you?

comoman

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your service sir!

Please read here:

FreeSCAN

What state/county do you live in? Maybe I can throw something together for you?

Than you!

Am I up the creek? In the Preloaded Systems and their System Quick Keys, Oklahoma isn't in the list. What do I do now?

I'm located in the far S.E. corner of Oklahoma. I was hoping to get some scanning in from Northeastern Texas and Southwestern Arkansas as well as my own area..

comoman

Premium Subscriber
I worked on the guidance section of the MGM-29 Sergeant guided missile system and I can't program a stinking scanner. Imagine that!

LIScanner101

Than you!

Am I up the creek? In the Preloaded Systems and their System Quick Keys, Oklahoma isn't in the list. What do I do now?

I'm located in the far S.E. corner of Oklahoma. I was hoping to get some scanning in from Northeastern Texas and Southwestern Arkansas as well as my own area..

Would you like the following OK counties for starters:

McCurtain
Choctaw
Pushmataha

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You've got a good start with FreeScan, but there's lots more to be had - including the Easier to Read manual, and our online DMA FAQ, along with notes about USB cables and much more.

All of these are linked on this article (links are always blue)

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

You might want to bookmark this page - there's a lot here, and I doubt you'll get through all of this in a single sitting.

GL...Mike

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I worked on the guidance section of the MGM-29 Sergeant guided missile system and I can't program a stinking scanner. Imagine that!

LOL and I was a Missile Systems Analyst in the USAF, but we all have to learn sometime. I could probably hand program my scanners if I had to but why? I got too much software that makes it so much easier. (ProScan, ARC XT, FreeScan) Why spend hours when I can do it with software in less than a minute.

But anyway delete the preprogrammed stuff as it is probably outdated anyway. The 996XT came out before rebanding and the preloaded stuff as far as 800 MHz systems is most likely incorrect.

LIScanner101

No worries there!

I have the file ready for the 3 counties I mentioned. Wow, not much there! I live on Long Island NY and I'm used to more densely populated areas. Let me know if you want me to email it to you.

comoman

Premium Subscriber
No worries there!

I have the file ready for the 3 counties I mentioned. Wow, not much there! I live on Long Island NY and I'm used to more densely populated areas. Let me know if you want me to email it to you.

Yeah sure! Thanks but what do I do with them once I get the email? I suppose I have to hook up the scanner to the putter huh?

I guess it would help if I added my email address. shortride@pine-net.com

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yeah sure! Thanks but what do I do with them once I get the email? I suppose I have to hook up the scanner to the putter huh?

comoman,

The scanner came with a programming cable, but that requires a serial port. If your pc does not have one (it would be labeled as Com 1), then you would need either the Uniden USB-1 cable, or a USB <-> Serial converter cable. My two desktops have serial ports (one of them via an accessory kit I added), but my laptop does not. For my laptop, I use a converter cable. More on these can be found here: Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

If you can be more specific than "SE Oklahoma", like a specific city (?), or at least the county, then that would give a better idea of what Texas and/or Arkansas cities, towns,and counties might be in range, in addition to Oklahoma.

In order to use FreeSCAN, or any other programming software (I use FreeSCAN; it does an excellent job), you must be able to connect the scanner to the pc. Be sure and clarify if you have what you need to do that, or will need to accomplish that first. While it is to your long term advantage to be able to program the scanner by hand, through the keyboard, programming by software has a number of advantages, especially for someone new to scanners, or to that specific type of scanners. First, you can enter information much more quickly via a pc keyboard than the radio's keyboard. Also, you can see most, if not all, of the information needed and entered at one time. That makes it much easier to spot and correct simple errors and omissions as well as typos. Plus, besides being able to get a 'starter' file from someone else to jump-start your scanning, if you have a problem with a file you've created on your own that you can't solve, posting it here may lead to someone else quickly spotting what correction needs to be made. Usually, it's something simple that just got overlooked.

comoman

Premium Subscriber
comoman,

The scanner came with a programming cable, but that requires a serial port. If your pc does not have one (it would be labeled as Com 1), then you would need either the Uniden USB-1 cable, or a USB <-> Serial converter cable. My two desktops have serial ports (one of them via an accessory kit I added), but my laptop does not. For my laptop, I use a converter cable. More on these can be found here: Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

If you can be more specific than "SE Oklahoma", like a specific city (?), or at least the county, then that would give a better idea of what Texas and/or Arkansas cities, towns,and counties might be in range, in addition to Oklahoma.

In order to use FreeSCAN, or any other programming software (I use FreeSCAN; it does an excellent job), you must be able to connect the scanner to the pc. Be sure and clarify if you have what you need to do that, or will need to accomplish that first. While it is to your long term advantage to be able to program the scanner by hand, through the keyboard, programming by software has a number of advantages, especially for someone new to scanners, or to that specific type of scanners. First, you can enter information much more quickly via a pc keyboard than the radio's keyboard. Also, you can see most, if not all, of the information needed and entered at one time. That makes it much easier to spot and correct simple errors and omissions as well as typos. Plus, besides being able to get a 'starter' file from someone else to jump-start your scanning, if you have a problem with a file you've created on your own that you can't solve, posting it here may lead to someone else quickly spotting what correction needs to be made. Usually, it's something simple that just got overlooked.

You're right! My computer only has USB ports. If it's not one thing is another.

LIScanner101

Yeah, yer gonna have to do that :D ....

Hiegtx has a lot of good info in his post, please read through that so you can see what you'll need to do next.

It's on it's way :wink:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You're right! My computer only has USB ports. If it's not one thing is another.
Ordinarily, I'd suggest going through the comments on the previously linked "Connecting scanners via USB" page and looking at the USB to Serial port converter cables. One cable that I've seen mostly favorable comments on is this one. Personally, I use a much cheaper one from Monoprice , but others have had problems (I have not), and it may not work well with Windows 8 (I use Windows 7 all three pc's). The problem with the converter cables is that sometimes, it's hard to get the required drivers loaded and for the pc to "recognize" the converter as a valid virtual serial port. Also, some of the unbranded aftermarket cables use counterfeit chipsets, so the drivers for the 'real' chipsets do not work (they've been updated to detect counterfeits).

I think, your best solution, the one with the least fuss and drama, is to simply order the Uniden USB-1 cable. You'll end up spending maybe 15-20 bucks more than on the first cable I mentioned, but it might be worth it to your piece of mind. With the Uniden cable, available from ScannerMaster or direct from Uniden . Links to download the drivers are both websites, same page as the cable itself. Ground shipping from Uniden in Roanoke, TX (just north of Ft. Worth) would be a day or so quicker to your location; pricing is pretty much the same. Other dealers also carry this cable. But beware of fakes from sources other than recognized dealers.

Download the drivers, choosing the ones that match the version of Windows on your pc, and run the installation file before plugging the USB-1 cable into your pc. The computer should then correctly recognize the cable, load the required driver from the files installed, then assign a serial port to the cable. It would then be ready to use for loading a file that someone has sent you.

leaf

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much echoing what everyone else said. My vote is to take it to someone in your area and have them program it for you with 10 or so systems, show you the basics (turning systems off/on, holding, etc.) Then in the meantime while you are having fun with a properly setup scanner, order a USB-1 and connect it to your computer using FreeScan. Then it will all come together I'm sure, you sound like a smart guy.
I find it funny you have been faking it&#8230; not sure how you could fake it with something like this, from square 1&#8230; just don't give up!

leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.