I'm Lost with upgrade !

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWH100

QRT
My Uniden 996T has version 1.03.11. I went to the Uniden web site registered my scanner, I click under downloads and it tells me to download BCD996T_UASD_V1.0.12.0. Looking at this file it doesn't appear to be a firmware update. If I download this file into the scanner it will erase all of my frequency and overwrite them. Where can I get the program: BC_VUP 2.0.0.3 updater ?? I don't see it on my download page under the 996T downloads ? I'm completely lost here. Help would be greatly appreciated.

AWH100

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
AWH100:

Read the big note at the top of the Download page. The links to download both the firmware updater (BC_VUP) and the firmware payload (*.scn) for the BCD996T and BCD396T are now presented on your "All My Scanners" page.

CStarr59: Not sure how to help...not enough info provided to even begin.

AWH100

QRT
Thanks UpMan, I believe I have it now. I have version 2.00.06 downloaded on my scanner. Is this the latest firmware upgrade? Also when I registered my 996T instead of a 2, by accident I put in a Z in my serial number. Will that cause problems down the road for upgrading additional firmware ?

Thanks for your help: AWH100

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
2.00.06 is the latest public release. The system would not have accepted your input with a "Z" in it.

The S/N always starts with 328Z, so we fill that part in automatically (and that Z is probably what you are seeing).

CStarr59

UPman, I get this message "this scanner is not a rewrite for BC" ....?
My firmware version is 1.42 at present. Why does uniden make it so hard to upgrade the firmware? GRE is so simple...

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
UASD is the software you use to program the scanner (systems and channels)
BC_VUP is the softare you use to update the firmware.
*.scn is the actual firmware you apply to a scanner using BC_VUP
The protocol file explains the serial protocol commands you would use if you were writing your own software.

CStarr59

Ok, I'm done. There is no reason uniden has to make upgrading so diffacult. I really, really like my 246T. But if I have to pull my hair out to upgrade it, well it's just not worth it. I like things easy and simple to use, operate, and understand. Im just trying to have a little fun with a hobby I like. Im open to all bids on this scanner. GRE here I come!

Viper43

Did you use the correct port? You have to use the front port to update with.... however it's not in the instructions unless that changed it.

V

n2mdk

Viper43 said:
Did you use the correct port? You have to use the front port to update with.... however it's not in the instructions unless that changed it.

V

The BC246T only has one port on the side.

AWH100

QRT
CStarr 59. I know computers and software can get very frustrating some times. I took some computer courses a couple of years again, and one of my programming teachers told me, that when you get that frustrated with software and computers, the best thing and the hardest things is to walk away from it for a couple of days. Give it a rest. Then go back to it. That's what I did when I upgraded the firmware. Frustrated, 9:00 at night, couldn't get it to work for the life of me. Got so upset, I just shut everything off and left it on my desk. Next day after work, tried it again, and updated the firmware, no problem. These new scanners, for me are a lot more complicated then my old BC 100XLT. I just have to take it slow and I usually find the problem is me, not the equipment. Give it a rest and then try again.

AWH100

CStarr59

AWH100. Thank you for the reply and I agree with you 100%. It's been 24 hours and I'm still very frustrated and it's not with my 246T, it's with uniden. I've given it some thought and I'll give it a few days to sink in, but I'm pretty sure I will be selling some scanners very soon. It's time to move on and start enjoying the hobby from a less complicated and easier to use standpoint. This is just my personal opinion.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, try this:

Download and install BC_VUP

Download BC-246T_V2_10.scn and save it to a location you'll remember.

Run BC_VUP. When prompted, select BC-246T_V2_10.scn.

You'll also need to know which COM port you've connected the scanner to and select that when prompted.

The error you are getting is either because you've selected the wrong COM port or you've not selected the correct target file (BC-246T_V2_10.scn).

CStarr59

UPMan said:
Well, try this:

Download and install BC_VUP

Download BC-246T_V2_10.scn and save it to a location you'll remember.

Run BC_VUP. When prompted, select BC-246T_V2_10.scn.

You'll also need to know which COM port you've connected the scanner to and select that when prompted.

The error you are getting is either because you've selected the wrong COM port or you've not selected the correct target file (BC-246T_V2_10.scn).

UPMAN, Thank you. The firmware has been updated to 2.10, I just needed someone to explain step by step the correct procedure. Your post was very informative and breaks it down nice and explains it well.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
CStarr59 said:
UPMAN, Thank you. The firmware has been updated to 2.10, I just needed someone to explain step by step the correct procedure. Your post was very informative and breaks it down nice and explains it well.

I had a little trouble upgrading the firmware on my 996T. It seemed confusing and I couldn't seem to get it to work. Once I actually did get it to work, it seemed a fairly simple process but it seemed confusing at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.