I'm new! I'm posting some random channels and asking some questions on here.

dudeagle

A Deagler
Hi! I'm Deagle. I am very new to scanning, I have a junky little Uniden BC80XLT and am interested in finding random channels. For the past 3ish days, I have been scanning aimlessly to try and find some cool channels. I will be posting any new frequencies I find, along with any questions I have. Please let me know if this is the right place for this, or if you have any recommendations, please feel free to tell me. AS OF THE TIME OF THIS POST, I don't know what any of the channels are for, or who they belong to, I just know what they sound like. So please, let me know what the sounds (or the channel) are for. And with that, my first random channel I have found is
It sounds like some government thing, idk. It often gives off random tones that sound like one of those hearing tests
And one last thing, I am aware that the majority of the channels I'm gonna be posting are already out there, I just decided to send them here in case anyone finds it interesting.

Thanks for reading!

-Deagle

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums & welcome to the hobby. Why not start by telling us your county & city? If you invest in a Radioreference premium subscription you can utilize the database search query to look up your findings to see if they've been identified in the database

. And with that, my first random channel I have found is
The BC80XLT is an ancient scanner which I'm fairly certain can't detect PL or DPL tone. I'd advise upgrading your scanner to one with PL tone and preferably P25 trunking capability (pretty much every scanner made within the last two decades) Below are identified stations utilizing 154.325. Are any close to you?

Freq OutFreq InToneCallsignDescriptionCategoryAgency/CountyState
154.325192.8 PLWPFH772Slate Creek Volunteer Fire DeptSlate Creek
Buchanan County
BuchananVA
154.325203.5 PLWPVU328Riceville Java Volunteer Fire DepartmentPittsylvania, County of
Pittsylvania County
PittsylvaniaVA
154.325114.8 PLKIW334Fire/Rescue Dispatch (multicast from trunked system)Prince William, County of
Prince William County
Prince WilliamVA
154.325153.770D20 NACWPDJ903FireWytheville
Wythe County
WytheVA
154.325151.100116 DPLWQWP224Police Dispatch 2Bristol
Bristol City
BristolVA
154.325107.2 PLWNBT658Fire & Rescue DispatchColonial Heights, City of
Colonial Heights City
Colonial HeightsVA

Last edited:

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Look at the above reply with ranges of frequencies your scanner can receive, then look at RadioReference for your city/state and search within those frequencies to see if there is anything in the database you might want/be able to listen to. You cannot receive anything using P25, only AM, FM, Narrow FM.

richardbritt

Database Admin
Welcome, look at map of the US, click on your state, then your county and/or city. Scroll the list of any listed frequencies. Check neighboring counties as well. And look at your state again, and look for things like DOT, Forestry etc listed for your state. If you are near a waterway, try 156.8 or 156.65 for starters for marine channels 16 and 13. Usually active for boaters.

Feel free to ask questions on the Forums here also. Everyone was new once.

Regards
Richard and Northeastern NC

dudeagle

A Deagler
Welcome to the RR forums & welcome to the hobby. Why not start by telling us your county & city? If you invest in a Radioreference premium subscription you can utilize the database search query to look up your findings to see if they've been identified in the database

The BC80XLT is an ancient scanner which I'm fairly certain can't detect PL or DPL tone. I'd advise upgrading your scanner to one with PL tone and preferably P25 trunking capability (pretty much every scanner made within the last two decades) Below are identified stations utilizing 154.325. Are any close to you?

Freq OutFreq InToneCallsignDescriptionCategoryAgency/CountyState
154.325192.8 PLWPFH772Slate Creek Volunteer Fire DeptSlate Creek
Buchanan County
BuchananVA
154.325203.5 PLWPVU328Riceville Java Volunteer Fire DepartmentPittsylvania, County of
Pittsylvania County
PittsylvaniaVA
154.325114.8 PLKIW334Fire/Rescue Dispatch (multicast from trunked system)Prince William, County of
Prince William County
Prince WilliamVA
154.325153.770D20 NACWPDJ903FireWytheville
Wythe County
WytheVA
154.325151.100116 DPLWQWP224Police Dispatch 2Bristol
Bristol City
BristolVA
154.325107.2 PLWNBT658Fire & Rescue DispatchColonial Heights, City of
Colonial Heights City
Colonial HeightsVA
Ha, ancient is right. My dad bought it a while back for NASCAR races.

dudeagle

A Deagler
I don't know any terms, so can anyone describe what some of these mean and how they are used? (And how one accesses them)
R
M
BM
PL
TG
SL
FMN
DMR
NAC

nd5y

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
and I am in Fairfax, VA.
The issue is I can't really receive most of the frequency's listed on Fairfax County, Virginia (VA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
If you intend on monitoring Fairfax County Project 25 Phase II trunked radio system where all your county public safety agencies reside then you'll need a scanner that can cover such mode. My recommendation goes to the Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 to combat likely simulcast distortion you'll face if you're within range of two or more tower sites, reference site map here. Expect a significant learning curve if you have no experience with current gen Uniden scanners but there are plenty of resources at your disposal here on the forums to help get you started. The SDSx00 scanners can be programmed via Uniden Sentinel software (free). Keep in mind that talkgroups ID'ed in the database as mode "DE" are fully encrypted and cannot be monitored by any receiver not intended to operate on the system. Mode "D" talkgroups are clear and can be monitored.

See also:

Easier to Read SDS100/200 Digital Scanner Manual

Sentinel SDS100/200 Software Manual

Also, does anyone have the list of repeater imputs for Fairfax, VA?
Check the check box here. Inputs that have been submitted to the RRDB will show up once you do ;)
Though in all honestly there's no need to program them in as you won't hear activity unless you're in the immediate area of a transmitting unit
1717784965131.png

Last edited:

nd5y

It says I have to have a premium account to view repeaters
No, it says repeater INPUTS which are 99% of the time useless for scanning.
The database doesn't include inputs for trunked systems whether you are a paid subscriber or not.
You can find inputs by looking up the FCC license.
Depending on the band you can do simple math to find the inputs. See Offset - The RadioReference Wiki.