I'm new to scanners, which one should I get as a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hi,
I'm new to scanners and I'm just starting out for the first time. I'm not interested in listening to live streaming scanner audio over the internet and wish to buy a new physical scanner radio receiver to listen to instead. How do I know which model to get looking at all the various different modes that these radio receivers now have these days such as:
-Analog
-Trunking
-APCO Phase I
-APCO Phase II
-DMR
I'm primarily and mainly interested in listening to my local police and sheriff departments, but I'm also interested in listening to other radio services too, such as:
-Ham/Amateur radio
-CB (Citizen Band) radio
-FRS (Family Radio Service)/GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) /MURS (Multi Use Radio Service) radio services
-Fire
-Paramedics/EMS (Emergency Medical Services)
-weather
-civil aircraft/SAR (Search-And-Rescue)
-etc.
Which scanners would be good to look at for a first-time beginner that's relatively simple and easy to use and not too terribly expensive and that would cover mainly my local police and sheriff's departments if nothing else? Also, how do I know which modes my local police and sheriff's departments use in the first place?
Thank you

Also, how do I know which modes my local police and sheriff's departments use in the first place?
You can look up your local services in the Database:

For scanners, I prefer Uniden. Here is a listing of models:

DMR is available as an add-on.

The SDS series is top of the line - and therefore more expensive.

A more economical option is the 996P2 or 325P2 handheld. That's what I've chosen and I like them.

It all depends upon your budget. You might want to let us know where you are.

Good luck!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi,
I'm new to scanners and I'm just starting out for the first time. I'm not interested in listening to live streaming scanner audio over the internet and wish to buy a new physical scanner radio receiver to listen to instead. How do I know which model to get looking at all the various different modes that these radio receivers now have these days such as:
-Analog
-Trunking
-APCO Phase I
-APCO Phase II
-DMR
I'm primarily and mainly interested in listening to my local police and sheriff departments, but I'm also interested in listening to other radio services too, such as:
-Ham/Amateur radio
-CB (Citizen Band) radio
-FRS (Family Radio Service)/GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) /MURS (Multi Use Radio Service) radio services
-Fire
-Paramedics/EMS (Emergency Medical Services)
-weather
-civil aircraft/SAR (Search-And-Rescue)
-etc.
Which scanners would be good to look at for a first-time beginner that's relatively simple and easy to use and not too terribly expensive and that would cover mainly my local police and sheriff's departments if nothing else? Also, how do I know which modes my local police and sheriff's departments use in the first place?
Thank you
Just about any scanner made in recent years would be able to handle aircraft and amateur radio (unless the ham transmissions are digital). The same with FRS, GMRS, and MURS.

However, law enforcement, fire, and possibly EMS could be anything from conventional analog, to digital using one of several available formats, and/or using one of the various types of trunked systems. If you provide your location (city, or county, and state is sufficient), you would get a much more useful response with suggestions.

kc0bus

That was helpful, thank you. I'm located in Kansas City, Missouri if that will help out even further.

kc0bus

Okay, I'm located in Clay County, Missouri which has a portion of Kansas City, Missouri located in it at the extreme southwest corner/area of the county, if that helps out even more yet still.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I would say this to everybody just beginning in this hobby - get a scanner that ensures it will not be 'outdated' anytime soon. The communications industry is an ever evolving and changing atmosphere where radio systems are being bid on, bought, and implemented almost daily with new upgrades, modes, formats, and technology. I always suggest newcomers to buy with that in mind. Right now, the best scanner(s) available on the market are the SDS series - the Uniden SDS200 and the portable SDS100. These scanners are the only radios out there to decode simulcast systems that some agencies have went to. With upgrades, DMR and NXDN can be decoded as well. Some people will tell you that an SDS scanner right off the bat is overkill, but if I were just starting out I would want as close as I could get to the ultimate scanner that would be able to cover whatever systems and modes I came up against. Why not be prepared and buy ready?

JD
kf4anc

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
That's a tough call. You pretty much want it all, and inexpensive and easy to use. If you want to get the most out of the hobby, you have to put a lot into it.

N8IAA

How recent is "in recent years"?

Recent is any scanner made in the last five years.

If you are only interested in your county, which is on MARRS, you only need a scanner that does Phase I, P-25 digital. No need to "Go big, or go home".

If you want something simple, as compared to the newest breed of scanners, there are the WS-1040 handheld, or the WS-1065 base/mobile.

If you want more bells and whistles, there is the TRX-1/2. There is one for sale in the For Sale forum further down the forum page. That scanner includes Phase I, Phase II, DMR, and NXDN. DMR and NXDN are the latest digital modes. Doesn't seem to be much of those near you.

While the SDS-100 is the latest from Uniden, be smart and read up on current and past problems with this scanner in the Uniden forum. Just so you know, the scanner costs $600, and DMR and NXDN are not included. Adding those two will make the price of the scanner over $700.

These are just my opinions. No flames please. I do own three older Uniden scanners that are great for what they do.

HTH,
Larry

If you haven't already ..... check out the feed provided in your area.
The feed provider lists the type of scanner he's using and lists detailed information about what is one the feed.

Hmmm... I am guessing you did not read his post.. He goes on to say:

I'm not interested in listening to live streaming scanner audio over the internet and wish to buy a new physical scanner radio receiver to listen to instead.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
He don't have to be a full time feed listener, but he could sample to hear what works in his specific area before making the plunge into some overly expensive unit that he will totally have no use for..

kc0bus

I did indeed listen to the live streaming player provided in his link. Unfortunately, it sounds terribly unintelligible. This is just another reason why I prefer an actual scanner radio to listen to instead of listening on the internet.

I did indeed listen to the live streaming player provided in his link.
There is nothing like being able to control what you listen to and operate the scanner to adjust what you hear.

Good luck with your purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.