I'm new to this hobby

Slickwid

So I've got an rtl-sdr v.3 and a SAWbird+ (goes) amplifier connected to an old Bell satellite dish and I want to receive and decode goes 15 images. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I was trying to get this setup and someone over on Reddit was helping me, but they thought I was trying to receive the low earth orbit goes satellite data, but that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm a pretty quick learner, I just need someones help because I tried to use Google to help me, but since I'm so new, I don't even know where to start looking, or what I'm looking for to help me accomplish this. Again any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Dirk_SDR

The frequency of 1.688 GHz is at the upper limit of the RTL-SDR Blog V.3.
Perhaps use an SDR with E4000 tuner like the Nooelec NESDR SMArTee XTR.
Perhaps show your actual setup also with the antenna and what you have done so far.

TomLine

The links on the RTL-SDR website are becomming obsolete.
General Info User Systems: GOES Rebroadcast │ GOES-R Series
More info. Does this include the system you want? https://www.goes-r.gov/users/docs/GRB_downlink.pdf

TomLine

The links on the RTL-SDR website are becomming obsolete.
General Info User Systems: GOES Rebroadcast │ GOES-R Series
More info. Does this include the system you want? https://www.goes-r.gov/users/docs/GRB_downlink.pdf
Do you have an antenna and software figured out yet, or just getting started? The documents mentioned cross polarized antennas?? I don't know much but am curious for sure.

Slickwid

Do you have an antenna and software figured out yet, or just getting started? The documents mentioned cross polarized antennas?? I don't know much but am curious for sure.
Well I've got sdr# that I can get a signal through. I'm trying to read the goes 15 satellite, I wanna receive the images of the globe to track weather patterns. My antenna is a bell satellite tv dish. I'm not hundred percent sure Ive got the elevation right for the dish, I'm pretty sure I've got it pointed in the right direction. I was getting help on Reddit from someone who thought I was trying to receive the goes satellites in low earth orbit so I started configuring for that, I was setting up wxtoimg and had the signal reading in that app, but apparently that's not the software I need now.

Slickwid

The frequency of 1.688 GHz is at the upper limit of the RTL-SDR Blog V.3.
Perhaps use an SDR with E4000 tuner like the Nooelec NESDR SMArTee XTR.
Perhaps show your actual setup also with the antenna and what you have done so far.
So I won't be able to use the rtl-sdr v.3 to receive goes 15 data? My dish is a bell satellite tv dish