I'm ready to try SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to start listening to SW. I have a limited budget too spend. I want to stay under 500 for the radio and a Par end fed longwire. I have been looking and for a newbie like me the Grundig750 sounds like a decent start.I would like to have a icom wideband or similar but I can't spend that much right now anyway. I have a BCT15 and a Pro106 already for other bands. Do you guys think I will be happy with the Grundig750 for now,or should I hold off until I can afford better?

Romak3

Banned
I have an Icom R-75 hooked to Par and it works great. I picked the Icom used. I have less than $500 in the combo. You could also look for a nice used R-71.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
The R75 looks nice, I think I will hold out for a used one and hope for the best. I hate fleabay, been burnt before.I found new ones around 600, so a couple of weeks from now if I haven't found a used one I will go that route.The features sound great and the swelling in my head from learning the Pro106 is over so I am ready for another challenge anyway!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As Romak implies here, it depends very much on how much you want to lay out. Another source of 'desktop' type radios, such as the R71 and R75 are used ham transceivers, many of which have general coverage receivers built in

The desktop world has shrunk to a mere shadow of its former self, sadly. The only desktops I can think of right now that are still in production are the R75, the new Alinco DX-R8 and the Palstar. That's about it.

In any case, do your homework. It's cheaper than buying something and finding out you don't like it. Choose what radio(s) you are interested in, then use our receiver reviews category for links to reviews (anything in blue is a link).

Category:Receiver Reviews - The RadioReference Wiki

Also consider the antenna - you're far better off putting something outside away from the house, but indoors can be done too...best regards...Mike

ridgescan

Go on Youtube and type in Sattelit 750 and watch all those guys having fun with this radio. Browse the reviews in this link

Grundig Satellit 750 Product Reviews

I say go buy one for yourself to whet the DX appetite, then when you accumulate more cash and find you still have a growing interest in the hobby, get a better rig like the R75 which can be had for $300 and up used. Why wait for a higher end rig when the 750 does a fine job as it is? IMO it's all about the antenna you give a radio to work with-I have a collection of portables from 1959 1974 and 1979 here that when hooked to my big antenna on the roof, can get the long distance stuff too:) if you do this, try to hang a wire outside of at least 50' and well grounded. We can help you with all that if you're serious.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Like my previous post said I will hold out and go better.I like the specs of the R75. The antennas are no problem, so far I have a st-2 30 feet up and a RS discone at the other end of the house 30 feet up. When I order/win a R75 a par end fed longwire will be orderd at that time.Thanks again guys.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I see the R75 goes to 60Mhz,is there much of anything up in the 30 to 60 Mhz range?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You are kidding, right? That's the VHF lo band - depending on your area, that could be quite active. And I wouldn't discount using the R75 as a dedicated rx on a specific frequency during DX openings....

Of course, discussing that belongs on another forum :.>>

best regards...Mike

[edit] Universal Radio's used list shows one R75 there...

Last edited:

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Go on Youtube and type in Sattelit 750 and watch all those guys having fun with this radio. Browse the reviews in this link

Grundig Satellit 750 Product Reviews

I say go buy one for yourself to whet the DX appetite, then when you accumulate more cash and find you still have a growing interest in the hobby, get a better rig like the R75 which can be had for $300 and up used. Why wait for a higher end rig when the 750 does a fine job as it is? IMO it's all about the antenna you give a radio to work with-I have a collection of portables from 1959 1974 and 1979 here that when hooked to my big antenna on the roof, can get the long distance stuff too:) if you do this, try to hang a wire outside of at least 50' and well grounded. We can help you with all that if you're serious.
You may be right, my scanners will cover the other bands and the grundig does get decent reviews. I placed a bid on a R75 on the bay,but if that does not come through a grundig 750 will be ordered. Once I get the hang of it I can upgrade.

SCPD

QRT
I honestly wouldn't invest the money in a SW portable. Since you're buying the PAR antenna it sounds like you're looking for a dedicated base receiver. Don't waste your money on a portable then. As others have said, even a 20 year old quality SW receiver can make a huge difference.

Be patient and save up for the R75 or buy another used receiver. There are tons of options to look at before just giving up and getting a SW portable.

I highly suggest going to YouTube and looking at videos of the various SW receivers. You'll get a good idea of what to expect.

I also suggest watching a few SDR videos -- such as the SDR-IQ. If you're ready to take the plunge then why not start with the newest technology.

nanZor

I had the 750 - it makes a fun *casual* HF receiver. The biggest problem is the agc - or lack of it, especially when using ssb/cw. Instead, you'll spend a lot of time fiddling with the rf-gain control if one station is loud and the other weak.

It just doesn't have great strong-signal handling capabilities, and the Par end-fed would only aggravate the issue. S-meter is a joke - better to not even look at it. :) You are already covered for airband monitoring, so the vhf airband - which doesn't have a squelch control - is duplicated with your setup and not the greatest anyway.

It had such great potential for a low-cost rig - but the agc issue drove me bananas.

There are other reviews of this receiver here, but if you do get it, you will have to play with the rf-gain a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
How much is to much to pay for a used R75? I can grab one for $440.To me that sounds fair, but want some opinions.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Get ready for questions guys, I bought it!

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I already did that and printed it, but I am sure there will be a few questions. Don't worry I won't bug you, once I have the radio and manual side by side I can figure most of it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.