• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

I'm so tempted....

Status
Not open for further replies.

multisync

Heard a news story on the radio the other day here in Kanada. RCMP officer cleared, no charges laid, the story started.

Apparantly a 22 year old male was arrested for having a open beer in his car and was taken back to the station for processessing. We assume he was officially arrested and all the procedures under arrest were followed, such as searching the suspect and all..

Anyway he ends up at the station in an interview room and ends up being shot in the back of the head by a "highly trained professional police officer" (as the police usually see themselves)

The officer claims self defence....HA HA HA

A spokesperson for the RCMP in Alberta states (arrogantly) that a full investgation was conducted by TWO other POLICE services and no charges against the offcer were warranted. I can't keep from laughing!! The spokeperson welcomes a coroners inquiry and the findings will be the same. LOL. POLICE investigating POLICE. HA HA HA HA **** I can't contain myself that is so funny!

The mother of the 22 year old said, how can you claim self defence by shooting someone in the back of the head.

A lawsuit has been file against the RCMP by the family.

Anyway I'm on the RCMP website now tempted to ask a question via email and ask them if some one breaks into my house can I shoot them in the back or the back of the head and be exonerated from criminal prosecution?

What do you think really happend in that interview room?
I think the 22 year old got the best of this "highly trained professional" with his mouth and the officer poped him.

Same senerio happened at the Port Credit Ontario Provincial Police station last year. A guy was arrested for a "traffic violation" and was taken back to the station for processessing and was shot in the back of the head in the cell area of the detachment. No ruling on that one yet. There seems to be a petten emerging here in Kanada.....

N

N_Jay

Glad they are a civilized liberal leaning state.:roll:

Just think how much worse it is don't here in the militaristic USA!:lol: :evil: :lol:

red8

Hey guys
If you get caught speeding or in possession of an open cantainer in
Ohio. They'll give you the death penalty. That's a shame about that
Mounty getting cleared.

scanjunkie

Premium Subscriber
I can see thinking the same thoughts as everyone here. However, we have to keep in mind that we weren't there and have not had the opportunity to review any of the evidence. Things are not always as they appear!!

crashcrew

Premium Subscriber

mancow

Database Admin
scnnr said:
I concur with a couple of posters in that article. What on earth was the officer doing with his sidearm on him in a interrogation room?

Protecting himself.... it sounds like.

Mozilla

Mounty Cleared

Well first off, with out seeing the documents and just hearing a story on the radio or television, certain ones differ of course, but the slant could be anything.

Skipping the procedure, which looks like it should be reevaluated to say the least, here's what could have an effect on the the descision. First of find you ears and then locate the back of them, interlace your fingers behind your head from that point just like an officer would ask you to. Your thumbs when extended down should reach along you neck towards your back. This primarily the back of your head. Now that the back of the human head has been defined ... try have one of your friends
choke you from in front, and using something non deadly and about pistol size, try hitting him in the head a few times while he is choking you. If you where to fire from that position, take note of where the bullet would probably go.Have a friend look at some of the angles of where the barrel ends up. You can do the same thing with a choke hold from behind and try hitting him in the head or see where you could get a shot into him.
Now this is all speculation, but i'd lay some cash out that he is shot in the back of the head, but probably not dead center and I would say there is a strong chance that the bullet
path could be from some very wide angles.
Once again we were not there, and without a bunch of the reports and results its to easy to jump to spastic conclusions. I have questions also, and would say at the least that its tragic, that some things need to definitely be looked at, procedurally, possible options of force, but I also will factor this in big time.
1. Drunk person
2. That person had the option to refrain from his actions and from being drunk.
3. COMBAT, at that point, thats what it becomes, and I can tell any of you that unless you have been in a drag out, no holds bar situation like this, it happens fast, and furious, period.
4. Size and shape of defendant, and again add the word alchohol....
Bottom line is if it appears that the one article here posted has it mostly right, than
the defendat precipitated ( 2 : to bring about especially abruptly <precipitate) his own demise.

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
red8 said:
Hey guys
If you get caught speeding or in possession of an open cantainer in
Ohio. They'll give you the death penalty.
pfft thats far from the ruth. I know of a couple guys that were nailed on there 2nd and 3rd DUI. They only did 2 days...

flyingwolf

I went to jail for 10 days for driving on a suspended license, first offence.

I was in jail (and in court) with an old man, who had never had a license, and was on his 32nd, DUI. he got 2 days in jail. (not a typo, his 32nd DUI)

Now tell me how Ohio in the least bit can justify that.

Oh did I forget, the old man, yea he was the judges grandfater.

jellotor

It's true that the concept of police investigating police is an idiotic one. In Ontario the SIU investigates any incident causing death or bodily harm that involves police...and it's an important, civilian arms-length organization.

However, I can think of a few incidents where the SIU were not involved in an investigation where they should have been. For example, the incident involving two of my colleagues in Caledonia where the OPP stood by as protestors attacked. the Ottawa Police Service was called in to investigate the conduct of the OPP officers...hmmm...shouldn't the SIU have been doing that one, if only for the sake of optics?

It's easy to point out that shootings like this one in Alberta are 'justified,' almost as easy as saying that the whole thing is a big coverup. As always, the truth is somewhere in between...unfortunately in this case it looks like if there's any legal recourse to finding out what's happened it's gonna happen in a civil case rather than a criminal one.

scnnr

mancow said:
Protecting himself.... it sounds like.
I would assume that the vast number of Public Safety Services in North America would have some sort of " Check in Side Arms" when in Cell Block or Interview Room areas rules. Especially if you are doing the interview alone, for both parties safety.

flyingwolf

I know here at the hick county er I mena clermont county jail they have a locker for just this sort of thing when going in, though I did notice that most officers would put the prisoner behind them when taking thier gun out and putting it away. Made it very easy for the perp to grab the officer by surprice and grab his gun quickly.

Also at the local station no sidearms are allowed in any controlled area. This includes interogation rooms.

PortCop

scnnr said:
I would assume that the vast number of Public Safety Services in North America would have some sort of " Check in Side Arms" when in Cell Block or Interview Room areas rules. Especially if you are doing the interview alone, for both parties safety.
I'm sure they do, and perhaps since he was a rookie he made a rookie mistake and forgot to secure his weapon. However in this case perhaps it saved his life. We all make mistakes, that's why they put erasers on pencils. I've actually had the opposite happen to me where I had secured my weapon and processed my prisoner. When I was done and heading back out on patrol a colleague pointed to my empty holster. I had forgotten to retrieve my weapon from the gun locker, and I'm no rookie. S*** happens.

MIKETECH

Anyway I'm on the RCMP website now tempted to ask a question via email and ask them if some one breaks into my house can I shoot them in the back or the back of the head and be exonerated from criminal prosecution?
Be careful. They may find you, and you may get shot in the back of the head.:lol:

_DeS_

Crap like this happens every day in the US in some way shape or form, so common in fact that you never hear about it. Happens once in Canada, and look what happens, everyone allll over it...My 2 cents...

Let the flaming begin lol

mciupa

DB Administrator
Hmmm.. wow..... things have changed . . . back in my day ,the mounties drove drunks to the outskirts of town and let them freeze to death in -40 weather .

Status
Not open for further replies.