I'm stuck BC246T

Status
Not open for further replies.

irkjvo

Premium Subscriber
I noticed I was no longer hearing anything on my BC246T here in Lee County GA. Did some digging and found out Lee County is part of Dougherty County network (radio wise). I updated the firmware to the latest and download Lee and Dougherty Freq from Radio Reference and uploaded them to the scanner. I still cannot hear anything. Scanner is totally quiet. Must have missed a process somewhere. Help please.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I noticed I was no longer hearing anything on my BC246T here in Lee County GA. Did some digging and found out Lee County is part of Dougherty County network (radio wise). I updated the firmware to the latest and download Lee and Dougherty Freq from Radio Reference and uploaded them to the scanner. I still cannot hear anything. Scanner is totally quiet. Must have missed a process somewhere. Help please.
I'm not in your county, or even your state. However, looking at the database for your county (Lee), and at the Albany/Dougherty County system, I notice that the only site shown was in Dougherty County. That may be out of range.

However, Lee County has this license for a set of 800MHz frequencies for a trunking system. It's possible that this is a site in your county, that has not been identified and submitted to the database. I'd suggest duplicating the system you already have, then updating the frequencies to use the five shown in the 851->854MHz range. That would be 851.2000, 852.4375, 852.9375, 853.3875, and 853.9875. The 851.2000 frequency will mean that you need to set the system/site as Motorola Custom/Reband Type II, and enter the custom tables required. which can be found here.

irkjvo

Premium Subscriber
I'm doing something wrong. I'm using arc246 v3.2 to u/l the information to the scanner but i'm still getting nothing.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
no...arc246
I use FreeSCAN as well. Did you make it a Custom/Rebanded system type, and enter the custom tables?

Edit to add: Also, there are no Lee County talkgroups listed on the system:
Lee County, Georgia (GA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
So, if Lee is using this, then that information has not been submitted or entered into the database. Make sure that the system you created using the Lee County frequencies is set for "ID Search", not "ID Scan". That will find any talkgroups previously unidentified.

If you Hold on the system, and manually scroll through the five frequencies I listed above for this possible 'site', you should hear a control channel on one of them, presuming it is an active site. The active control channel frequency will sound somewhat like an idling diesel engine, somewhat like this.

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
I'm doing something wrong. I'm using arc246 v3.2 to u/l the information to the scanner but i'm still getting nothing.
If you created a new 800 trunking system, you need to be sure you are using IDseach, and not IDscan. I think that choice is on the trunk systems para's in Arc246. Or on Easier to Read BC246T Scanner Manual System Options click on Easier to Read BC246T Scanner Manual IDseach If you downloaded from RR other trunking systems. try IDsearch as well until you make sure you are receiving traffic.

Last edited:

irkjvo

Premium Subscriber
I made it a "Motorola Type 2 800 MHz Custom"
After changing it to search it came up with the sound you noted and the ID was 4976 on the 853.3875 freq. All I'm getting is the sound you uploaded. At least thats something.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If this is the system you're trying to scan...

Southwest Georgia Regional Radio System Trunking System, Albany, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies

then tg4976 belongs to Dougherty County/Albany City EMS dispatch

However this system is not completely decodeable on a 246. Any talkgroup that has a 'D' in the mode is digital, and that's something this radio cannot handle. You will need a digital trunktracker to be able to hear these talkgroups. If you are in ID Search mode, it's possible you would run into these talkgroups

Mike

irkjvo

Premium Subscriber
Well I wiped everything and set up using the post W4ELL posted and looks like it is trying to work. The transmissions are still sounding like a machine gun. Like the audio file posted earlier in this thread. I wonder if everything in Lee County is Digital? The history logs are show the transmissions like I remember from the past. Can't really explain that any clearer (sorry).

Attachments

• 2013.jpg
    2013.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Well I wiped everything and set up using the post W4ELL posted and looks like it is trying to work. The transmissions are still sounding like a machine gun. Like the audio file posted earlier in this thread. I wonder if everything in Lee County is Digital? The history logs are show the transmissions like I remember from the past. Can't really explain that any clearer (sorry).

I'd say ka3jjz was correct. If you are hearing machine gunning, it is time for a digital capable scanner. Luckily, between now and March is a great time to buy one.

I would ask in that very thread to confirm if those tgs are digital... I'd bet that they are.

Last edited:

irkjvo

Premium Subscriber
I found out from a fellow member that they are indeed digital. So I guess it's time to look for a Bearcat BCD996XT maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.