I'm too picky I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

dune614

I want to put an antenna on my car. I've played with the idea of a trunklid one, a magnet mount, a window mount and even a suction cup to the back window. I need a mount too that can't be stolen easily, as I work in one of the trashiest and run down areas of the state. (These people steal baby formula and steak to feed thier heroine/crack addictions on a regular basis). Any ideas where I could find something like that?? Thanks guys

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
dune614 said:
I want to put an antenna on my car. I've played with the idea of a trunklid one, a magnet mount, a window mount and even a suction cup to the back window. I need a mount too that can't be stolen easily, as I work in one of the trashiest and run down areas of the state. (These people steal baby formula and steak to feed thier heroine/crack addictions on a regular basis). Any ideas where I could find something like that?? Thanks guys

Well, personally, I am not aware of any antenna that has an anti-theft capability, other than you removing it and taking it with you (or leaving it in the car unless you worry about break-ins). Any type of exterior mounted antenna I can think of is subject to theft if the person(s) want it badly enough. Mostly they would just have to unscrew it from the mount unless its stuck on to the glass (then peel it).

With the magmount, depending on how you have your coax routed, you could pull it and put it inside the vehicle, mount and all (thats what I do when I go thru the carwash). The trunklid you could remove it and put the whole works in the trunk. Not much you could do with the thru-glass unless they would unscrew from the mount (I don't use one so don't really know how they are constructed). If you don't mind putting a hole in your car roof, you could install the thru-roof type, then unscrew the antenna and toss it in the car or take it with you. Lastly, use the stock antenna inside the vehicle and either leave it there or take it with you (depending on whether you are concerned with break-ins).

Sorry if the above is of little help, but that was all I could come up with. Good luck....

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Dune and readers,

"(These people steal baby formula and steak to feed thier heroine/crack addictions on a regular basis). Any ideas where I could find something like that??"

That depends on whether you're looking for baby formula, steak, crack or heroin.

You have a choice, find a new place of employment, leave the car at home or leave the electronics at home preferably in that order. There is more to consider than a car, scanner and antenna, the first order of business is protecting yourself from da gangstas and thier favorite hobbies, robberies, muggings and drive by shootings.

On the other hand da boyz walked right by my parked VXAmobile without a second glance, an old Toyota with the radio hidden in the glove box and the antenna off the mount hidden in the trunk. The idea is to make it as unapealing as possible I guess, a brand new Beemer with a "CB" in plain sight might be another story. On the other hand, a long time ago in a galaxy far away that you just might call a high crime area one asked me "Is yo a cop?" so needless to say I transited the area without regard to the speed limit and a few traffic signals, antenna bent back by wind pressure.

The summation of the story is a question, what sort of chances are you willing to take?

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
Why not try using one of those splitters that just use the standard AM/FM stereo radio antenna that is already on your car? I just seen one somewhere online.

Just a thought.

dune614

Thanks guys

Thanks for all the tips guys. For information's sake, there aren't any real muggings in the area, but a good amount of fights. Also, the stealing the formula and steak from the store I work for. I'm thinking I may try that flip down trunk mount, but I'll let you guys know. Thanks again.

Dorpmuller

kb2vxa said:
You have a choice, find a new place of employment, leave the car at home or leave the electronics at home preferably in that order.

I'll second that... I wouldn't even venture there. Packing pepper spray wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Rich

dune614

Forget the spray, I paid my dues and got my carry permit. I'd be packin if it really came down to it. People tend to leave you alone when you put a .40 S&W with a high cap mag on your hip.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi again Dune and all,

That may be just dandy in Texas but New Jersey is another story. Camden is a case in point, RCA was the first to close the doors because employees were afraid to come to work. The "Trenton makes the world takes" sign is all rusted and doesn't light up any more, sensible people found jobs elsewhere and so should you. When I left Elizabeth I lowered the flag and turned out the light, the shore is sooo nice and peaceful even though somebody stole Ronald McDonald yesterday. Well, that's another thread about funny scanner stories, this isn't funny and neither is the sound of gunfire I left behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.