I'm very interested in buying the Uniden SDS 100!! And is it worth it in my Area?

ptr1959w

Where would you guys recommend buying from: Scannermasters, Uniden Bearcat warehouse or Zip Scanners and are there any other places that I haven't mentioned? I would also like to know if it's worth buying the SDS100 since I live in Florida in the Indian River County area? I would like to listen to Police and Fire.. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
From what I can tell, all Law Enforcement (Including Sheriff Dept) are Encrypted. Fire is on a P25 simulcast system which requires either SDS100/200 or SDR dongle or Unication. No scanner will decrypt an encrypted channel/talk group. I'm not from that area but that's what I picked up in the db.

RetiredVolunteer

Premium Subscriber
According to the DB, the Indian River County Public Service P25 system appears to be a six-site simulcast system. With that being the case, as has already been posted, the SD100 / SDS 200, Unication Pagers or SDR dongle would probably be your best options. Have utilized both Scanner Master and Bearcat Warehouse in the past with no issues.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Where would you guys recommend buying from: Scannermasters, Uniden Bearcat warehouse or Zip Scanners and are there any other places that I haven't mentioned? I would also like to know if it's worth buying the SDS100 since I live in Florida in the Indian River County area? I would like to listen to Police and Fire.. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
I would shy away from Zip Scanners. While some people have had no issues, others had numerous problems with orders placed with Zip, that took a lot of time & effort to resolve.

I would suggest considering Main Trading. A number of positive comments on them, and at times they have some 'package deals' (like the scanner as well as a case, or other accessories) at a competitive price. I have not purchased from them because they are in Texas, as I am as well. So, if I purchased there, I'd get whacked with an 8.25% sales tax.

I'd also suggest that you request your thread be moved to the Florida Forum, where someone closer to your location could give you a better estimate as to what you might be able to hear, both in your own county as well as surrounding ones. Since the systems in your area appear to be simulcast, that does suggest that the SDS100 would be the best choice.

Chris0516

I got my 436HP from Ham Radio Outlet(Ham Radio Outlet) on sale this past December. I am very pleased. I got my 325p2 from Scanner Master in 2016. I was pleased with both. But, Keep in mind. A lot can change in 7yrs.(2016-2023).

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
It's really pretty simple. If you need to monitor P25 simulcast systems, the SDS100 is your only option in terms of traditional scanner products. If not, the 436HP would work great. If you live in a large Metro area it's likely there is at least one simulcast system near you.

Folks in the Florida forum could tell you for sure if there is such a system with anything you could actually monitor.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Building upon Dave's observation, my 436HP is practically useless on one simulcast system local to me, hit or miss on others. When I run my SDS100 along side my 436HP while monitoring the same systems there's definitely traffic the SDS picks up that the 436 stutters on or misses completely. It all hinges upon your location relative to two or more simulcasting sites

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
The SDS 100 is an expensive scanner “radio” with a learning curve steeper for some than others. While the Unication G5 is not a true scanner as far as functionality goes, it is superior on the simulcast issues in my experience. Take your time with the 100 if that is what you get. Be patient.

Familiarize yourself with Uniden’s DMA architecture. Look up the “Easier To Read” manual from Mark’s Scanners. Know that there are many kind folks on here that will help you, but you can also search you question as most likely it may have been asked!

Have fun and good luck!

pandel

Here's a little different opnion
I've owned the SDS100. After years of working with, and listening to commercial radios, I found the audio to be sub par and switched to the Unication G4. I have never looked back. Far better audio!
Yes, the SDS is a "true" scanner, but if you are only interested in listening to one system or talk group, the G4 can be configured to work for you. For example, here in Hillsborough County we have an East and a West system. Each (East and West) must be programmed as a separate system. I bought mine from Ray's Pagers. Very helpful guy. BONUS...The software has nowhere near as steep a learning curve!

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Here's a little different opnion
I've owned the SDS100. After years of working with, and listening to commercial radios, I found the audio to be sub par and switched to the Unication G4. I have never looked back. Far better audio!
Yes, the SDS is a "true" scanner, but if you are only interested in listening to one system or talk group, the G4 can be configured to work for you. For example, here in Hillsborough County we have an East and a West system. Each (East and West) must be programmed as a separate system. I bought mine from Ray's Pagers. Very helpful guy. BONUS...The software has nowhere near as steep a learning curve!
Could not agree more. If you noticed I have a G5. I try to couch my comments since being “skewered” a little for my disappointment in the 100. I like you am one of the few And I’ve had a lot of radios.

Bob1955

Hi ptr1959- A lot of FL is encrypted as my son is a police officer in Central FL. I would just purchase a Uniden Bearcat BCD325P2 ($339.00 or so) as it is the MOST reliable/trouble free handheld and sensitive too on analog/digital and you can use FreeScan software to put in your frequencies in and also look on YouTube. I would also purchase it on Amazon.Com so if it isn't good in your area after adjusting digital squelch threshold, you can get a label printed out and send it back to that vendor. Bearcat Warehouse is now charging a 25% re-stocking fee and also less the free shipping you received from them on all digital scanners. I don't like that. They use a 3rd party name on Amazon called Police Scanner Outlet based out of Maryland. Scanner Master in MA is more expensive on most items except the price fixed Uniden Bearcat SDS100/200
Hope I have helped you.

Bob1955

Amazon.Com for the best return policy or Scanner Master in MA.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have both a G5 and a SDS 100. I prefer the SDS as the tool I keep in my vehicle, although the G5 performs slightly better. The reason is my use case. I monitor many systems over a wide geographic area, and Uniden's GPS based tuning feature is immensely useful. I have a regional favorites list programmed with my talk groups of interest across many trunked systems for the five states I most frequently drive in. The only time I interact with the radio is to adjust the volume.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Hi there, I am becoming very interested in the Unication products! Could you guys tell me more about them, please? Thanks
They are great products for monitoring a small number of talkgroups. The audio and RF filters are better than any scanner, commercial grade.

However they can only scan 64 talkgroups at a time, that is their biggest limitation (huge limitation for a lot of people). Also there is no mobile version, that's the other big limitation.